Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

upgrading to 8.10 but keeping kde-3.5.10 -- can it be done?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

upgrading to 8.10 but keeping kde-3.5.10 -- can it be done?

greetings.

i'm running 8.04 on several machines here, and for non-kludge hardware support it would be to my advantage to upgrade to 8.10. but these are producrtion machines and my sense is that kde-4.x ain't soup yet, so i'd like to stay with 3.5.10. is this possible? i note that the new debian has kde-3.5.10, but having read several threads on the subject i'm hesitant to att it to my repositories list.

should i just do the upgrade and then nuke everything kde, followed by building kde-3.5.10 from source? or is there a more orderly approach?

thanks!

Re: upgrading to 8.10 but keeping kde-3.5.10 -- can it be done?

there is no way to keep kde3 in Intrepid+, without building your own or using an external (and unsupported) repository. There is one around somewhere

You don't have to nuke anything if you build your own kde3 or use the pearsoncomputing repo. Or wait a little and try out Jaunty with a solid KDE4.2. Debian repos may make a mess of your package database.

Comment

Originally posted by dep
      greetings.
      i'm running 8.04 on several machines here, and for non-kludge hardware support it would be to my advantage to upgrade to 8.10. but these are producrtion machines and my sense is that kde-4.x ain't soup yet, so i'd like to stay with 3.5.10. is this possible? i note that the new debian has kde-3.5.10, but having read several threads on the subject i'm hesitant to att it to my repositories list.
      should i just do the upgrade and then nuke everything kde, followed by building kde-3.5.10 from source? or is there a more orderly approach?
      thanks!
      Generally, reinstall a debian stable or debian testing is a better idea for you, since debian never push unstable stuffs such as KDE4.1 to users. (that is debian philosophy, and ubuntu philosophy is to always include new stuffs within 6 months.)

If you want KDE 3.5.10 in Intrepid just try this:

http://apt.pearsoncomputing.net/

Comment

thanks. am trying the pearson repository on one machine, with not entirely happy results so far.

would be good if the upgrade simply allowed one to keep the existing kde. this seems sufficiently popular that a fork of that kind would be very useful. one of the advantages of kubuntu is that it makes linux available to those who want to do stuff, with that stuff not being limited to configuring their machines. and the switch from the mature kde-3.x to whatever kde4 is -- well, that negates those advantages. for something as important as the desktop, premature switching to kde4 is an awfully bad idea. heavens, it was enough to get linus to switch back to gnome.

right now, whole thing is blowing up on something called konq-plugins-kde3.

ugh.

Comment

Why not run with Hardy .... 3.5.10 is rock-solid.

... unless Intrepid offers something which Hardy doesn't... i don't know what that would be, though.

Comment

i agree except for, really, one thing, and that is that i need a newer alsa. which, in turn, would require me to burn a new kernel with newer alsa stuff or to get a newer kernel which already has newer alsa stuff. if there were a way i don't know about to jump ahead in kernels -- to where the alsa support is 1.0.18 or better -- that's what i'd do.

so, then, is there an easy kernel upgrade path that doesn't require a whole dist upgrade?

Comment

I really don't know, i just keep up-dating whatever needs to be. The kernel here is 2.6.24-23-generic.... at the moment.

To be fair, this is just a normal Personal Computer, i don't have any heavy-duty production uses for it... all it has to do is play music and the occasional video .... and browse the web.

Comment

right. i don't have really heavy-duty demands on this machine, either.

suppose i should look for a kernel-upgrade thread.

thanks!

Comment

You are Welcome.

... not sure i was much help, though....

Comment

if it was me i would stick with 8.04 (I wasn't a fan of 8.10 sorry) but I will say KDE 4.2 in jaunty (9.04) is looking pretty sweet it what Im using now. and may just be worth the wait till April to "upgrade" right on up to 9.04
                    Still lerning linux after all these years<br />Kubuntu 9.04<br />

Comment

Working...
                    X