Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 8.10, Graphics Card: Intel 82845G, Freezes after log in during splash

I tried to make the title as descriptive as possible.
    What I know:
    Intels integrated graphics card 82845 causes problems in linux. Common fixes are somehow related to adjusting the Xorg file or 915 solution. None of the searches I've conducted has led me to a discussion that starts with a problem very similar to mine and ends up with a well defined fix.

The closest is: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3100921.0 . Self-resolving fix does not help me.

What happens: I install Kubuntu 8.10 with regular live cd. I log in with my password. The first splash icon comes up and displays clearly. The next two start to come up and the systems freezes with them still fuzzy.

Suggestions?

Thank you.
    I love twix and linux, must be the cool x's.

Re: Kubuntu 8.10, Graphics Card: Intel 82845G, Freezes after log in during splash

Did you try setting the applicable stanza in /etc/X11/xorg.conf to look like this:

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Videocard0"
    Driver "Intel"
    Option "AccelMethod" "XAA"
    EndSection

Comment

Re: Kubuntu 8.10, Graphics Card: Intel 82845G, Freezes after log in during splash

'May' not be a graphics card problem. Counting from the left, which splash screen icon does the PC 'freeze' on?
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I'm trying to access the xorg file from the command line by dropping to the shell prompt from recovery mode and using the commands:
        xorgconfig
        X -config
        dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg - this just ask a bunch of questions about my keyboard.

How do I change my xorg from the recovery shell?

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
          'May' not be a graphics card problem. Counting from the left, which splash screen icon does the PC 'freeze' on?
          First icon on the left is clearly presented. Two more follow but stay hazy. Sometimes I get a glimmer of the third floating to the surface as a ghost.

Comment

To view and edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file in character mode (from the command line), you will need to use a character mode editor. My personal preference is nano (there are dozens of editors). I don't think nano is installed by default, any more. So:

Code:
            sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install nano
            then

Code:
            sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
            There's a menu at the bottom of nano to help you decipher how to save and exit. Ctrl-O saves, and Ctrl-X exits.

Be careful -- it is always possible to make things worse. Perhaps the first thing to do, prior to editing, would be to make a (renamed) copy of the xorg.conf file that you have now.

Code:
            sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.9feb09_orig
            You can learn vi or vim some day when your machine isn't broken.

Comment

dibl

No joy sir. My screen does flicker on and off black before the log in screen now, but I'm thinking it's not an improvement to my problem. Still freezes at splash.

Comment

See this Ubuntu post which I've been reviewing: Re: On Board Graphics Issues with 8.10 #33

The Intel 845 card is blacklisted by Compiz in 8.10. You can read back through the post from that point, and follow it forward, but it doesn't look good.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hi, I'm the guy who had the self-resolving fix you link to in post #1.

Your machine does seem to be freezing at exactly the same spot as mine.

In the other thread I mentioned trying to run the openSUSE live CD, unsuccessfully. I forgot to say that I also successfully ran a Damn Small Linux live CD on my machine before my problem seemed to self-resolve and I was able to run Kubuntu8.10.

DSL is such a small download (50MB) it might be worth downloading it, burning it to a CD, running the live CD, and then trying to boot into Kubuntu again, and seeing if anything has changed.

As I said, I have no idea how it fixed itself, but I am still able to log into KDE, although I usually use the gnome desktop as I have grown to like it. (Very naughty of me, I know!)

Comment

I had the same issue. I used an old PNY card and it booted right up. 8)
                    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night,<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.

Comment

I don't know if this will help, but hope that it may.

I've found with the regular live CD's that it does make a difference if you boot from the CD and install, OR,
                      if you run the live CD as a live CD and install from the live system. The problems are similar to what you have described and the fact that the graphics card (Intel) was NOT blacklisted with Hardy and is with Intrepid is suspect, plus, generally Intel graphics cards are not the problems that ATi for example, can be.

So, whichever way you installed, try the other way and see if it works.
                      HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

I to am having the same issue only no video card, running on board graphics with an 845 chip set, kubuntu starts to load and goes to black screen, I have the same issue with ubuntu i get to log in screen and then goes black.
                        i went through the ubuntu forums and found that there is supposedly a bug on Intel video graphics and to try safe mode but that didn't work either.
                        I'll see what happens when I build my new computer with an ATI video card.

my comp. at the moment
                        Intel celeron 2.7 G Hz Intel chip set no adds to it.

Comment

Working...
                        X