Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official method of installing Kubuntu from a USB memory stick?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Official method of installing Kubuntu from a USB memory stick?

I'm currently itching to upgrade my 8.04 Kubuntu install to 8.10, but I currently don't own any recordable CDs. What I do have is a number of USB memory stick (> 512 Mb) and it hit me, why isn't there an official method of installing Kubuntu from a USB memory stick?

I've found various threads on the internet, but I find no official support. A memory stick today comes as cheap as a set of recordable CDs so I'm asking.

Re: Official method of installing Kubuntu from a USB memory stick?

You need install the app called UNetbootin.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

the easiest, and most 'official' method is to use Ubuntu's own program , called simply usb-creator. It works very well and even allows for saving settings/etc on the spare space on your usb stick. It's what I have been using for a while now without any hitches, and is available via adept

unetbootin works fine, too, and supports other distros , though it has not worked 100% for me, maybe 2 or 3 times I could not get the distro I was testing to run.

Comment

Thanks. I'll look into both methods.

*edit*
        Worked like a charm with UNetbootin. Now I just need to get acquainted with the new interface.

Comment

Interesting idea. Couple of quick questions on itif you don't mind.

Once done, will it operate pretty much as a live CD, only faster? By that I mean will it be capable of accessing the host PCs hard drive for, say, data recovery?

What capacity does the USB stick need to be?

Thanks

Comment

Once done, will it operate pretty much as a live CD, only faster? By that I mean will it be capable of accessing the host PCs hard drive for, say, data recovery?
            >>> Yes. Yes.
            >>> In fact, you can install stuff to it, e.g.,Ffirefox, Thunderbird, etc.

What capacity does the USB stick need to be?
            >>> The operating system takes about 800 MB; and the rest of the space can be used for the persistent data (your personal data and settings in /home). So, at a minimum, 2 GB flash drive is OK; a 4 GB would give you 3 GB for personal, persistent data.

My how-to will get you started:
            Build a LIVE Kubuntu Flash Drive, How-To
            http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...089474.new#new
            Step-by-step
            -- with Persistence -- using GRUB all the way (i.e., no Syslinux): Reply #7
            Reply #54: New for 8.10, simplified
            Reply #64: usb-creator
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Is it possible to install from a USB stick or USB external harddrive even if the bios does not have a boot option for one of these devices? I am finding it very hard to find a functional CD writer that will write slow enough for the older CD players. DVD writers, which I have, won't write CDs under 16x. Older CD players can't read CDs writen at these speeds.

Comment

Originally posted by rperodin
                Is it possible to install from a USB stick or USB external harddrive even if the bios does not have a boot option for one of these devices? I am finding it very hard to find a functional CD writer that will write slow enough for the older CD players. DVD writers, which I have, won't write CDs under 16x. Older CD players can't read CDs writen at these speeds.
                You might be able to find a boot-floppy that will allow you to boot to usb
                # make install --not-war

Comment

Flash drive Boot from USB even if your BIOS does not support it:
                  https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootFromUSB

I saw one fella @Ubuntu do it.
                  As usual, YMMV -- there are no doubt many factors.
                  Involves building a CD (as I recall).
                  An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Apparently, the usb drivers are to big for a floppy. I'm looking at the "Create a partition on the internal hard drive" option.

Comment

Working...
                    X