Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calculating files to skip copying (Install completed successfully)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calculating files to skip copying (Install completed successfully)

Installation on Toshiba Satellite over OpenSUSE 11. All OK until it gets to 15% - Calculating files to skip copying. I've tried it 4 times.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Re: Calculating files to skip copying

Is it your intention to try and keep your /home partition - assuming you have is separate from the / root file system? Is there a reason you don't just format the partitions prior to installing Kubuntu 8.10?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: Calculating files to skip copying

All partitions were formated for installation.

I abandoned the installation and will throw the disc away. It only cost $18 from Amazon. I tried to run Ubuntu several years ago and it ruined a HD for me but I thought I would give it another try.

I have already reinstalled OpenSUSE 11.0 and installation went perfectly. I didn't get to see much of the 8.10 Kubuntu but just judging by the install software, OpenSUSE is lightyears ahead.

Comment

Re: Calculating files to skip copying (Install abandoned)

Out of curiosity how long did you wait each time before re-trying?

My old PC used to sit at this stage for what seemed like forever but eventually finished, I used to go and watch a film or something and the installation would be done when I went back.

I'm not making an excuse for the installer because there's no easy way of telling if it's doing anything or not, just that I have experienced this sort of thing (but not since I upgraded my machine). Sometimes patience is required.

Now it maybe that your Satellite is the latest and greatest and you would expect it to install in a flash, but I can see no reason why Kubuntu wouldn't install, I bet there are thousands of Satellite users out there running Kubuntu so what's so special about yours? And, to be honest, why pay $18 when you can download and burn to a RW disk?
        Kubuntu 20.04(AMD64)/KDE 5

Comment

Re: Calculating files to skip copying (Install abandoned)

As a rule I always use the alternate cd for installation.

Just my 2cents worth
          HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Re: Calculating files to skip copying (Install completed successfully)

Thanks quarkslot for your help. I had waited only around 15 minutes at the stall point.

Because of my problem with Ubuntu several years ago, I decided to load Kubuntu on an older, slower machine to test before loading on one of my other machines. I took your suggestion and just let it cook and it took around 35 minutes to work past that point. Then the install proceeded but very slowly. I can't say that was the fault of the software as the computer is old and slow.

Anyway, it is now functional and I will see if I want to replace OpenSUSE that I have on three other computers.

Thanks again.

Comment

No problem, I hope it was worth the wait!
              Kubuntu 20.04(AMD64)/KDE 5

Comment

2.8GHz celeron with 2G ram.

i have the same problem: at about 15 minutes of "calculating files to skip copying" the activity bar no longer shows activity and the cap lock and scroll lock keys start blinking. i did not wait for 35 minutes, but assume installation has failed with the lights blinking. the install attempts are both kubuntu and ubuntu from purchased disks On-Disk.com. i did a manual partition 1024/10002/25xxx and from the install screen, ubuntu should have formatted the OS and files (10002/25xxx). software did not indicate that 1024 swap would be formatted. i repeated install attempts many times with same results each time.

this is my first attempt to migrate to linux.

mark bower

Comment

Hi Mark

Welcome and sorry that your first try with Linux hasn't gone too well.

What type of CD are you attempting to install? Is it a "Live CD" where you get to the kubuntu desktop and then hit an install icon, or the "alternate" CD where you go into a text-based install routine from boot?

Comment

well, i am not sure. there are 3 options of interest on the opening screen: 1)try ubuntu(or kubuntu on 2nd disk) without installing, 2)install ubuntu, or 3)text based install ubuntu. i did the text which i believe you call verbose, ie, tells everything that is happening, but that did not work either. however, i tried it only once, and at that point was still getting comfortable with what to do on the install. i all tried the method "install guided", which as i recall did not allow me to guide; it was automatic.

significantly, i did #1 "try without installing" and the software seemed to work just fine. some issues with the wireless, but that can be dealt with later (after i get an install). there may be an install icon at this point, but i do not recall if i observed it or tried it (short memory i guess). anyway, i can alway do it again if that makes sense. is the icon standard in appearance, ie, can you describe what it looks like?

incidentally, i also purchased pclinusos, and it did not install either. i bot the 3 desktop versions since i did not know what would work best for me (simple is best), and thot i might try all 3 out.

mark b

Comment

I assume you are trying to set up a dual boot system. Have you backed up your data, just in case and defragged Windows?

The "try" options are the live CD options - where you run OS from the CD as opposed to installing. If you had downloaded from the (k)ubuntu sites you would simply see a desktop icon marked install. IIRC that would be the only one you would see. That would take you into a GUI-based install routine, which is a bit user-friendly but, if truth be told, seems to have the higher failure risk.

I would run the CD on a "live" basis first and see what you get. Is the install icon there? It will also be a good opportunity to see what partitions you have set up as it's not clear where you got up to with the partitioning. Which ones have been set up? Ideally you will have set up 3, a root partition, a home partition, ands a swap partition.

Comment

i am trying to set up linux only on an EIDE HD. i used wipedrive to clean the disk before beginning. i guess i should have used descriptors vs partition size - indeed i set up 3 partitions: swap, os, and home. each time i have tried to install, the partitions appear to be correct and as i sized in manual mode: sda, sda1(swap), sda2 (OS) and sda3(home). the install gives the option and i selected to install the boot loader in sda which i believe to be the mbr.

so, i will try the live method again tomorrow and look for the icon.

Comment

@ the liquidator

o.k. in summary, no distribution i received would fully install, locking up at various percentages of install. this includes a live CD, then clicking on an install icon marked install (not labeled as IIRC). i recall seeing a post where hardware might interfere, so,

i pulled all peripherals to include hawking wireless, usb bluetooth, secondary EIDE (iomega & memorex R/W). then installation worked just fine. then put hawking back in, and install failed. removed hawking, and install o.k. ah haa. the hawking causing the problem? then replaced the hawking and install went o.k., so not the hawking necessarily. i will keep working at it to see if i can determine which peripheral may be causing the problem, however, as seen, things seem to be intermittent with respect to the hawking so not an easy task.

at least now i can look at KDE vs GNOME.

the hawking wireless does not connect. so i will work with some info on the net to see if i can resolve. then ask for help in a different post, if necessary.

thanks for your ideas.

Comment

So it looks like there might not be drivers for it? A quick google for Hawking-Wireless suggests it might depend upon the chipset:

Plug in the device and in the terminal try

Code:
                            lsusb
                            That will give you more information about it.

If it is not a supported device (which seems quite likely - how old is it?) then all might not be lost. You can install via your package manager a package called ndiswrapper which will allow you in many cases to use the windows drivers for your wireless hardware. Sorry though I've never had to use it so I would not know how to configure it, but others may well have some tips for you.

ian

Comment

@ liquidator
                              o.k. i have spent a lot of time poking around, and not found something i could get a handle on. i do see "ndiswrapper", but hoping this is not going to be the solution?

status: the wireless icon appears on the task bar. left click shows wireless APs around my house including mine. i click on my AP SSID rocky mountain) and get msg "Disconnected, the network connection has been disconnected".

equip: Hawking 54G (HWP54G) rev T. appears to use TI chipset with a driver of acx. Linksys WRT54G, encryption and MAC filter disabled, automatic DHCP.

have played with lshw, lsmod, lsusb, lspic, lspic -n, iwconfig. in general, evidence of the wireless NIC shows in all but lsusb:
                              1)lsusb only shows my bluetooth dongle (also not functioning) and root hubs, but no indication of wireless present.
                              2)iwconfig shows the NIC, but states "AP:Not-Associated".
                              3)in network manager selected "connect automatically", entered SSID for router, selected infrastructure.

lest it looks like i know what i am doing, i don't. but does above descriptions appear to confine the problem. a google search shows a zillion problems with linux and wireless, and a zilliion methods to try and correct. ouch i tried to locate a list NICs guaranteed to work with linux and found the ubuntu site at bedtime. will review tomorrow re Hawking and my Belkin wireless NICs.

Comment

Working...
                              X