Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[solved-mostly] Upgrading 8.10 kde-4.1 to ked-4.2 - koffice, plasmoids, akonadi

I am (for the 3rd time) trying to update kubuntu-8.10/kde-4.1 to kde-4.2 (which I do understand is beta). This time, I used synaptic, and it seems to have gone a little more smoothly, but some rough spots remain:

1. I removed koffice, as the instructions say, and now I can't reinstall it. When I try to install it, it says it depends on kformula, "which will not be installed." OK, so if I try to install kformula, it threatens to remove just about everything. Does anyone have koffice alive in 4.2, and if so, any hints?

2. Same problem with the plasmoids/widgets. The instructions mention that some will not work, but it looks like just about all of them don't work (the post-it like applet, for example). Any hints on how to get it to work, or just be patient?

3. Whatever the "akonadi server" is for, it gives me an error message when trying to start. It says it can't find the driver, qmysql, but it looks like libqt4-sql-mysql is installed.

4. Also gwenview is dead, and can't be reinstalled due to some kind of incompatibility, something to do with kipi plugins. It wants to remove a bunch of stuff, including kphotoalbum (which I don't care about) and libkipi-common (which sounds like it might be catastrophic) and install libkipi6. Has anyone tried this, with success?

Well this is the damage I've found, so far . . .
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Re: Upgrading 8.10 kde-4.1 to ked-4.2 - koffice, plasmoids, akonadi, gwenview

Hey there!!!

I am a newbie to linux and to Kubuntu 8.10.
    What I found to work for me upgrading from KDE 4.1 to KDE 4.2 was to us synaptic instead of adept to upgrade the KDE packages. I went to the KDE website and copied the repository into my sources in synaptic and away I went.

Now - as far as Koffice -- I may not be much help there. I tried to upgrade to OOo3.0 and it kept crashing on me. I went back to OOo2.4 and it is stable and running just fine for me.

Hmmm .... back to the KDE issue ... My apps and effects seem to be running fine (no major hiccups or anything like that .... so far LOL!!).

I am having the same issue with akonadi server as well when ever I log in to my machine. I am trying to figure that one out as well (happened after I upgraded to KDE 4.2 beta as well).

I have not had any issues with gwenview at all.

Maybe try using synaptic to upgrade to kde4.2 beta (I think that this will give you all the dependencies that you need as well).

Let me know if this helps.

ironmantis7x

Comment

Re: Upgrading 8.10 kde-4.1 to ked-4.2 - koffice, plasmoids, akonadi, gwenview

Thanks for your comments.

1. I can't get OOo3 to work, not anywhere, with anything -- not with debian, gnome, kde-anything.
      Koffice worked fine before "upgrading", and I would like for it to work again.

2. Plasmoids/widgets are dead. Any help?

3. Akonadai working normally. Fixed itself - that's always dangerous . . .

4. Will try letting gwenview install and remove what it wants; report to follow.
      We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Re: [solved-mostly] Upgrading 8.10 kde-4.1 to ked-4.2 - koffice, plasmoids, akonadi

Some things I have found out, that may help others:

To reload koffice, load the package 'koshell'. This does not load the parts of koffice that seem incompatible with kde-4.2, namely kformula. Of course this will do you no good if you need formulas.

Got most of the plasmoids back by loading packages 'kdebase-plasma' and 'kdeplasms-addons'. There are still some that will not load -- a problem with 'libplasma2', which any attempt to install threatens to remove kde entirely. I guess this will have to wait for a fix.

Reinstalling gwenview did remove several things, but all still seems well, and it works.

For what it's worth, one of the reasons I did this is other postings claim kde-4.2 is faster than 4.1. I have not found this to be true, it does not seem to have improved speed at all.

Comment

Working...
        X