This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOLVED - Not able to login in KDE

Hello everyone, I am new of this forum (moreover, I am not a mother language of English, so, please, forgive some grammar mistakes ) and I have to start my thread with a question. Today I've installed 8.10 over an old (and different distribution) Linux in my HD. And it happened something like you can read in this other thread:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3100634.0

so I entered my Linux, tried to log in and... nothing happened. Black screen for about half a second, then again the log in screen. As the guy over there, if I write a wrong password, I receive an error message. If I don't use the graphic interface, I can enter the system. But differently from him, since I have a completely new system (I've never entered it), my KDE can't be damaged so... any idea? Please, don't tell me "update from the net" because I have to do a lot of work of customization before connecting and for doing that, I need the graphic interface. So, can you help me, please?
    Puppy eyes in attachment!

Re: Not able to login in KDE

Hi Ayvlis,

what are the results of the two tips in the thread you mentioned?

1) Is your disk full?
    Code:
    df -hTxtmpfs
    and look voor 100%

2) move your /home/username/.kde to /home/username/.kde_bak to force Kubuntu to regenerate your .kde directory.
    Once your problem is solved please edit the first post of your topic and add [SOLVED] in front of the subject. In that way, others can benefit from your experience!

Comment

Hi, Johan and thank you for your attention.
      Ok, here I have a small problem. Maybe I should have already explain something else. My HDD is partitioned in this way:
      1) Windows XP OS
      2) Windows Documents
      3) Windows Games ( :P yes, I love gaming a lot!)
      4) Windows BackUp
      5) Linux OS
      6) Linux Home
      7) Linux BackUp

so, even if the partition with Linux could be full (15GB? I'm quite doubtfull), when I log in I should enter in another partition. Before Kubuntu 8.10 I had an old Mandriva, and the log in was perfect. Still I have to change the name of my home folder even if before it was working? Moreover, since the only way I can log in is by shell (and since I am totally dumb in using the shell), sincerely I think I need a BIG help with the shell command... so... ehm... :-X what should I write in the shell to change the name of the home folder (being it in another partition)?
      It's a while I would like to improve my shell abilities but... what can I do, I don't know where to look for commands!

Comment

Hi Ayvlis,

it's OK if you don't have a lot of command line skills.

If you haven't done so yet, login with a command prompt and just enter the given command
        Code:
        df -hTxtmpfs
        to check if your linux partitions are 100% full. If they are, you will not "boot into another partition", but you will be returned to the login screen (which is your case!).
        You can choose "console login" from the second left icon at the bottom of the login screen.

If that doesn't help, you can move the kde settings of your profile by entering the following command from a prompt:
        Code:
        mv /home/[username]/.kde /home/[username].kde_bak
        Kubuntu will think you don't have any KDE settings and will regenerate them, often leading to fixing a login problem with similar symptoms that you have.

When KDE works again and you see that you don't miss any settings (like email accounts or so), you can also delete the backup directory of KDE settings:
        Code:
        rm /home/[username].kde_bak
        Once your problem is solved please edit the first post of your topic and add [SOLVED] in front of the subject. In that way, others can benefit from your experience!

Comment

Here for you another stupid question... when I wasn't unable to enter in the log in window, I logged in by shell (and of course I succeeded). I've also modified the grub menu file, so I supposed it is not a problem of full disk
          However, this evening I am going to follow your suggestion! Thank you!
          PS: too less emoticons in this forum... what about adding some more? :P

Comment

what is the question?

Being able to modify a file is not an indication that you're not short of disk space. Besides that, menu.lst is in /boot, which is on another partition than your /home

Let's see what it says this evening!

P.S.: be careful editing menu.lst!

Comment

Originally posted by JohanLingen
              P.S.: be careful editing menu.lst!
              Well said. ALWAYS, always, always copy a file first before you even think about editing it!!! Then, even if you bork it completely, even if the computer decides to jump off a cliff, even if you accidentally delete it, you will have a backup available which you can put into place again using your liveCD.
              Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Ehm, guys, the fact I cannot remember for my life safe the shell commands, doesn't mean I am so totally stupid! I use computer since a lot of years, I work with computers everyday, I am extremely skilled (at least in Windows environment) and I am also a programmer... I just cannot remember shell commands, so please, don't think I am unable to edit grub menu or to back up my files first... I am so full of back up that I have at least 3 copies of each file (plus Ghost images of the entire partition! )... my friends usually say that I have a backup-insane-fixation

Comment

Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Well, you know, just to avoid being perceived as the most stupid of the forum

Comment

Well, it has nothing to do with being stupid, really...

I'd rather call it being adventurous (having been in the same situation myself more than once ).

Anyway, you'll find that this forum abounds with mostly pleasant, helpful and knowledgeable people. To my knowledge the word stupid has not entered the vocabulary here (yet...).

Anyway, good luck with your undertaking and let us know how you fare...

Comment

Ok so definitely I need more emoticons... so use your fantasy and imagine a yellow round face jumping and dancing around! I've entered KUbuntu! Wooooooow!!!
                        I've used the
                        mv /home/[username]/.kde /home/[username].kde_bak
                        command and all gone well!
                        Now I have to find a way to load new graphic card driver without being connected to the net
                        Thank you all for your help! Any idea about where can I download those drivers?

Comment

What video card do you have? And why do you have to load it "without being connected to the net" ?
                          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

all the info are here

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...100891.new#new

PS: no internet connection under Linux because I have internet only with the Vodafone Internet Key, that is a sort of disaster that simply doesn't work. I have to find new driver for Linux (a friend of mine is helping me) but since he hasn't finished, I cannot load them!

Comment

Working...
                            X