This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOLVED - Printer icon is missing in "System Settings"

I did a fresh install of Kubuntu 8.10 rather than upgrading from "Ubuntu 8.04". I wanted to switch back to KDE desktop after using Gnome desktop for a couple of years and I am surprised how responsive it is now.
    Everything seems to be working fine, it detected my video card, Ethernet, and sound correctly and I am happy with those, but it did not generate an icon to install a printer.
    I am using Brother MFC7820N network printer at "socket://192.168.1.93:9100" and can use "http://127.0.0.1:631" to use CUPS to install and use my printer. I can access it at "http://127.0.0.1:631/printers/MFC7820N" and do not have any problem with drivers and prints fine.

My question is why installation program did not add a printer icon to "system settings" and how to add it there?

Re: Printer icon is missing in "System Settings"

KMenu>Applications>System Settings>General>Computer Administration>Printers
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

I forgot to mention that latest Kubuntu installs KDE4 and I am using KDE4.2, so the menus are different than the one you posted.

I can go to "System Settings" and under "Computer Administration" only these are listed:

Date & Time
      Display
      Font Installer
      Input Actions
      Keyboard & Mouse
      Multimedia

But there is no icon for the printer.
      Thank you for replying.

Comment

KDE 4.2? Then you aren't running the regular distribution of 8.10 Intrepid Ibex - it runs with KDE 4.1.3 currently. Did you upgrade to KDE 4.2?
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yes I have upgraded to 4.2. It is impressive.

Comment

Can't help then. I'm waiting until KDE 4.2 is officially released before I upgrade.

Comment

I have also did a fresh install (dual boot with WinXP) on my work laptop, Lenovo Thinkpad T61p, which has KDE 4.1.3, from install disk, and has not been upgraded to KDE 4.2.

I have the same issue with my laptop also. No printer icon in "System Settings".
              When I installed Kubuntu 8.10 on my desktop and laptop, no printer was attached to them. Is it possible that the install program expects to see a printer attached during installation.
              For my desktop and laptop, printers are on LAN.

Comment

That's because that isn't were you find it. In II KDE 4.1.3, look in K Menu > Applications > Settings > Printing

Comment

I found it. It is actually at "K Menu > Applications > System > Printing" for both KDE 4.1.3 and KDE 4.2.
                  Snowhog, thank you very much for your help.

Comment

Working...
                  X