This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switching from Adept to Synaptic

I've been using Kubuntu since late 2006, and I've had no problems with Adept. But the KDE4 version included in Intrepid just feels so lacking overall compared to the older versions. I've started using Synaptic, and I've found that to be as good as the old Adept.

I know there's really nothing to switching, for the most part. Just start using one compared to the other. My problem is with the update notification. If I need to downgrade a package for any reason (like ZSNES or Kaffeine, the latter of which had a recent update in backports which shipped without a binary executable included), I can lock the version in Synaptic. But Adept's update notifier doesn't recognize that I have locked a package in Synaptic, and will attempt to update it anyway.

Is there any way to change the update notification to use Synaptic instead of Adept? I have no idea how to do this, honestly.

Re: Switching from Adept to Synaptic

I've been using Kubuntu since late 2006, and I've had no problems with Adept. But the KDE4 version included in Intrepid just feels so lacking overall compared to the older versions
    The Adept is under heavy development (KDE 3 vs KDE 4), the future ? > Topic: Adept getting the boot(?)

Is there any way to change the update notification to use Synaptic instead of Adept?
    The update notifier is an applet and a backend:

Package: update-notifier-kde
    Apt Status Applet

An applet to show a systray icon when apt has software updates to be installed, when Apport has crash reports, for reboot notification and for upgrade hook messages.
    and

Package: update-notifier-common
    Files shared between update-notifier and adept

Apt setup files and reboot notification scripts shared between update-notifier and adept-notifier.

So it will notify you, when there are upgradable packages in the apt database. Adept and Synaptic are graphical front-ends > FAQ: Package Managers

But Adept's update notifier doesn't recognize that I have locked a package in Synaptic, and will attempt to update it anyway.
    Synaptic locks are Synaptic only ! There are ways to lock the packages to the version with all package managers(apt). An example > Pinning version
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Changing update-notifier-kde package manager

update-notifier-kde (update-notifier-kde.py) is a python script. It is in /usr/share/python-support/update-notifier-kde.

Default (line 173) when clicking update-notifier icon:
      Code:
      KProcess.startDetached("kdesudo", ["adept", "updater"])
      Modified:
      Code:
      KProcess.startDetached("kdesudo", ["synaptic --upgrade-mode"])

So now when clicking update-notifier icon:

Two images attached (FAQ: Attached files are show only to the members ?) :
      Attached Files
      Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
      1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
      2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Thanks for the tip, I'll give that a try and see if Synaptic is any better.
        ...and so, the frog hopped away and the princess wiped the frog-slime from her lips, THE END.

Comment

Worked well, thanks
          ...and so, the frog hopped away and the princess wiped the frog-slime from her lips, THE END.

Comment

Working...
          X