X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boots into a terminal-type thing...

I'm a noob at Kubuntu, just saying.

I believe I tried to install new Nvidia drivers, but screwed up somewhere. :P Whenever I boot up Kubuntu, it goes to the loading bar, and then right after than it brings me to a terminal-like thing that asks me to log in, then you can do anything you can do with the terminal. It's obviously something to do with the drivers, but I've searched the forums and everything I've tried hasn't worked. Help?

When I try "startx" it says "Fatal server error:
    No screens found".

Re: Boots into a terminal-type thing...

Originally posted by CHUNKYBOWSER

When I try "startx" it says "Fatal server error:
    Your belief is misplaced -- you did not in fact install a video driver. Assuming you have an Nvidia graphics chip, try it like this:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...2816#msg152816

then, if you happen to boot to the text prompt, you can log in and enter "startx" and it will start the X server.

Comment

When I type "sudo envyng -t" it says

/user/bin/envyng: line 6: cd: /user/share/envy: No such file or directory
      python: can't open file 'interface.py' : [Errno 2] No such file or directory

;_;

Comment

Hmmmmmmmmm.

And you installed the envyng-core package?

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
          Hmmmmmmmmm.

And you installed the envyng-core package?
          Yep, it says it's already the newest version.

Comment

Is your hardware 32-bit or 64-bit? And did you install the 32-bit or 64-bit Kubuntu 8.10? Is it the generic kernel (you can enter uname -a in the console and it will tell the kernel)?

I can't find any examples of that error with Google searches, so I dunno what's up there. Either there's a problem with the basic Kubuntu installation, or a problem with the envyng-core installation, which should have brought in all supporting python packages. So, unless we can turn up a hint of what the issue is, I'm left scratching my head and thinking "reinstall all of it .... starting with a new CD".

For starters, if you boot "Recovery Mode" and then select "Fix X" followed by "Resume normal boot" you should get a GUI that is using the "nv" driver -- good enough to work in. Open a Konsole window and run
            Code:
            lspci
            and post the output here -- that will show the graphics chip model and a little bit about your hardware.

Comment

I got 32 bit for both, and I have no idea what a generic kernel is. xD I'm assuming I do, I just went to the Kubuntu site and downloaded the 32 bit version. I guess I will try the lspci thing.

Comment

I need the model of your Nvidia chip, if you don't know it run lspci and that will tell it.

Comment

Oh, I have two 8800GTXs. I believe that's what you're asking for. :P

Comment

Wow, nice.

Did you get out of the X server before you installed envyng-core and ran it? Before you do anything more drastic, you might want to just re-run the drill, starting with
                    Code:
                    sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop
                    then
                    Code:
                    sudo apt-get remove --purge envyng-core
                    then
                    Code:
                    sudo apt-get install envyng-core
                    and
                    Code:
                    sudo envyng -t
                    Then after you choose "1 -- Install the Nvidia Driver", you should chose "0" which is the 177.80 driver.

Comment

I tried to install envyng again, but it failed and asked me if I was root. So, I went to recovery (to be root) and did it again, and it installed. Then when I tried envyng -t it says a bunch of random stuff and the very last thing it says is "TypeError: list indices must be integers"...

Comment

Hmmmmmmmmm -- another error I've never seen or heard of. :P

Honestly, I'm suspicious of some basic problem with your Kubuntu installation. You admittedly don't have much experience installing it, and maybe something slipped past. I'm going to suggest that you go back to the drawing board and give it a fresh shot. Here are the basics -- ask if you don't understand and "Search" doesn't help:

1. Hard drive partitioning -- I use a GParted Live CD, and make a 8G partition for Kubuntu, and a 1.5G swap space.

2. You might want to try an Alternate Install CD, rather than a Live CD. And you're sure your CPU is 32-bit? Because if it's 64-bit, there is no reason NOT to install the 64-bit OS these days -- everything works just as well.

3. Check your downloaded ISO file's md5sum against the listed md5sum on the download site.

4. Burn the ISO image slow, at 4X speed, in DAO mode. Even doing this, sometimes you get a coaster.

5. In the installer, use "Guided" and set it to mount the 8G partition as "/". It will find the swap space by itself.

6. Let it write Grub to the MBR of the hard drive.

7. Upon reboot, you may have video issues. Just restart it in Recovery Mode and choose "Fix X" -- that should set you up with the "nv" open source driver, which will work OK and let you proceed with updating, installing EnvyNG and (Lord willing) installing the 177.80 Nvidia driver, which is what you need.

OK?

Comment

Is there any problem with using the partitioner in the installer itself? I already have a large partition for it. xD Also, how would I get rid of the installation I have right now? 0_o Finally, I believe my processor supports 64bit, if that's what you mean. xD So I could probably use a 64bit verrsion.

Comment

If you already have a partition, and a swap partition, then OK stick with it. When it's ready to install, you can just click "format" and it will be reformatted for the new installation.

I do recommend the 64-bit OS, if your CPU is 64-bit. And try it with the Alternate Install CD -- on the Kubuntu download screen, there's a green arrow or something under the main link, to click if you want the Alternate Install ISO. So get the 64-bit Alternate Install ISO and let's see if works better for you. It's working really well here, except half the time the KDE GUI does not come up automatically -- it dumps me to the CLI and I have to log in and "startx". But I've got my CPU overclocked from 2.9GHz stock to 3.45GHz, so ...... what should I expect?

[img width=400 height=300]http://img373.imageshack.us/img373/3271/kintrepidcompizfu5.png[/img]

Comment

Haha, nice. Thanks for all your help! You're great!

Comment

Working...
                              X