This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOLVED - Locked Out: The Login Infinite-Loop

I installed Kubuntu 8.04 on a fresh partition last night.

Everything was fine until I upgraded to Intrepid a few hours later.

After the upgrade and reboot, I was taken to my login screen as expected. Pretty. So, then I attempted to login and watched as KDE briefly switched interfaces (mostly just a black flicker without ever making it to the desktop) but quickly just reloaded the login screen.

It does this ad infinitum; It's a login infinite-loop.

I considered the ludicrous idea that perhaps I was actually giving incorrect user/pass, so I tried something different. No. Any incorrect login attempt notifies me that it's incorrect.

So, long story short, login is complete fail. I'm I'm locked out of Kubuntu.*

* I can successfully login to TTY2 but I'm not sure where to even begin tackling this KDE/Login issue via the CLI.

It's tempted to just do a complete reinstall, but that doesn't exactly help fix this problem... and if there are others experiencing the same issue, they need to be reassured that a complete reinstall should never be the answer.

Not in any Ubuntu distribution.

Re: Locked Out: The Login Infinite-Loop

"Login Loop" is a known phenomenon with a variety of causes, including full filesystems, broken video drivers, wrong information in /etc/fstab, and I forget what else.

You might want to try simply renaming the ~/.kde folder to something else, then try again to log in.

Comment

Also, after you type in your password, but before hitting enter, click on the 'paper' icon and select the KDE session.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
        Also, after you type in your password, but before hitting enter, click on the 'paper' icon and select the KDE session.
        Thank you, that worked perfectly.

Comment

Great. You won't have to 'select KDE' on subsequent logins - just type in your password and press enter.

Help others by returning to your initial post in this thread and clicking the modify button and putting SOLVED in the subject line.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
          X