X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

live cd not work with nvidia 7600

Hi,
    I've download kubuntu 8.10 and boot the live cd,
    after loading before go in the login screen the screen cam white with many black lines and nothing do anythings at all it's all freeze.
    there is no way to start kubuntu !!

anyone know why or/and have some suggestion ??

My videocard is an nvidia 7600 agp

thanks

ciao

Daniele

Re: live cd not work with nvidia 7600

I almost always have the same issue when I want to do clean install of kubuntu. There are two ways to solve this that I know. Provided that you want to install kubuntu, you would want to try the alternate install cd instead. It's practically failsafe to install with that.

However, If your problem is the same as mine, you will probably have the same issue once you're booting into your new install, In which case you need to edit the xorg.conf file before you can boot properly. I don't know how experienced you are with kubuntu (or linux) so I'll just go through it as simple as I can.

If you managed to install kubuntu, but still can't boot because of the same problem as the live cd, than you nedd to boot into recovery mode when you start up. To do this, press escape at the grub menu (it should say something like 'press escape for...'). From there, choose the recovery mode and then choose to login as root.

Here, do 'nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf' (case sensitive). You should see a kind of dockument which you can navigate through with the keyboard. Look for the Device section. It should have a line where it says 'Driver "nv"' or something similar. Change the "nv" to "vesa", then save and exit. Reboot, and you should be able to login to a desktop with a very bad resolution, but at least you should be able to download the nvidia drivers, so you could install them (just google 'nvidia drivers linux', you should dowload the 177.80 version).

Hope this helps. If you need, I can guide you through installing the drivers too. I been struggling with nvidia cards in linux a lot, and this always works for me.

Comment

ciao and thanks a lot for your answer....i'll try like you suggest the alternate version !
      if it go wrong i'll try the other way you had tell me !

thanks again !

Ciao

Daniele

Comment

Try it this way ...

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...2523#msg152523

Comment

Working...
        X