X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reinstall Kubuntu 8.10 over Kubuntu 8.4

Hi,

My problems starts after I try to run KDE 4.1 on my Kubuntu 8.4. I installed it, and I had 2 KDEs (4.1 and 3.5). After that i remove 3.5 but then (because of I didn't know how to do that) I remove some things, and after that 4.1 didn't work also. I'm attempting some things but I did only more damage to my system.

I what to install Kubuntu 8.10, but my CD - ROM don't work on my laptop. Can I use Kubuntu 8.04 like some installer of new one. I have 1.5 Mbit/s net, and isn't problem to install 8.10 over network. Can you say me what to do. Pls...

Tnx

Re: Reinstall Kubuntu 8.10 over Kubuntu 8.4

Originally posted by hercegyu

Can I use Kubuntu 8.04 like some installer of new one.
    No, that sounds like "eye surgery on yourself" -- that won't work.

If you like an adventure, and have a USB stick, you could study up on how to build a bootable "fromiso" stick and then use that as the installer. However, it will write the /boot/grub/menu.lst file wrong and you'll have to fix it manually afterward.

With your broken optical drive, and your 8.04 system all screwed up, perhaps the first thing to try is an upgrade from 8.04 to 8.10. Other than some time invested, it doesn't sound like there's a lot to lose, and you might end up with a new system. Here are some links that might be useful:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...n/FromUSBStick

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081748.0

Comment

Ok,

I did upgrade to 8.10 yesterday, I think...but still KDE didn't work. I can star it whit startx, but it seem sto me like 3.5, not 4.1.

I don't know what to do...I have small home network and CD ROM on other comp. Can I use it to reinstall system, or some to do to boot form that CD ROM.

Comment

If you back up/rename the hidden .kde file in your home directory, then restart the system and do a new login, it will reset to default KDE4.1 settings. If you want to try it, do this in a Konsole window, at your home directory prompt:

Code:
        sudo mv .kde .kde_bak
        Then exit, and shutdown/restart. You might still need to use startx to start the GUI -- I have to do that on mine sometimes. Not sure why -- it works right once I log in.

Comment

I installed 8.10, after some hours of making more then 5 USBs...
          I use Live USB creator (GUI-based, runs from Live CD).
          What now...I have some GRUB error, and I can't start any OS from my comp.
          However, it will write the /boot/grub/menu.lst file wrong and you'll have to fix it manually afterward.
          How to do this....I'm looking over net, and I didn't find any solution that works.
          I have Windows XP install on same PC. I suppose to just can add xp on menu.lst, and it'll work (before of this, xp works excellent like that).

TNX

Comment

Working...
          X