This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HH 8.04 KDE4 ReMix - Bye Bye!!

Downloading now. The Ga. Tech site was maxed out. In Utah right now. Can't wait to get this remix over to something more "together". Hopefully some things that currently can't install will. Have II 8.10 on my laptop. Runs great! Can't imagine how this will run on my desktop. Busy day tomorrow!!

Re: HH 8.04 KDE4 ReMix - Bye Bye!!

Hi Moonrise,
    it says Kubuntu-veteran in your profile and you are enthusiastic. So therefore I ask you:

HELP the linux, kde, GNU newbie!!!

I loved KDE4 ReMix! I am working on an X61 ultraportable thinkpad with 12". So it was a perfect solution to have an OS X style hiding panel with all applications on the bottom of the screen.

After the upgrade from 8.04 broke and a fresh install I am not able to get my beloved panel back to work. Right clicking the panel does no longer suggest adding applications just applets! There are many more issues, buggy behaviour and also the funny new KDE app starter. I am really frustrated with 4.1.2.

Am I just stupid or is it no longer possible to have applications in the panel?

Comment

I've never used/placed App Shortcuts in my Panel, but I really thought that was still possible. I never read anywhere that functionality was to be removed. I'm upgrading mine today. I'll report back what I find out.

Comment

I have ALL my apps on my panel -- LOL.

Well, the ones I use frequently, for sure.

In KDE 4, you don't do it the way you did in KDE 3.5. You have to go into your menu, right-click the app, and choose "Add to Panel".

It's tricky, and not exactly totally controllable -- the sequence in which they are added is not super-obvious, and you don't get to rearrange them easily. Work with it awhile, and approach it with a spirit of compromise, and you'll probably get a result you can live with.

Comment

To rearrange apps on the panel just rightclick -> onlock widgets (or something, mine is german) them click on the cashew symbol on the panel you want to edit run you mouse over the app you want to move and a cross will appear. click and move. Easy peasy

Funny new app starter is called kickoff and yes it is a bit strange at first. You can rightclick on it and choose classical kmenu or get the lancelot plasmoid (widget) and use that with rightclick on the panel -> "add widget"

Hiding panel will arrive with kde4.2
          HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan

Easy peasy
            Great ( I love those old German sayings ...).

Cool -- I just did a controlled move of a panel icon -- wow, I'm feeling the power now ...

Comment

Yep, I never had an issue moving things around on the panel. That works. I've already done a clean install of II and did away all that was Remix .

I tell you this, that is the fastest install I've ever done on any OS. Now I'm installing all of the Apps I had prior and all is going well so far. Just can't wait to get FF3 back. Now maybe I can compile some widget on here. Remix didn't like to compile widgets. Always reported that things would break. On my laptop with II they compiled perfectly.....uhmmm...after some help

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                I have ALL my apps on my panel -- LOL.

In KDE 4, you don't do it the way you did in KDE 3.5. You have to go into your menu, right-click the app, and choose "Add to Panel".

Nope, ... I do not have this option right-clicking the app.

Then: without autohiding the panel is pointless. So I dropped this approach and put the widgets and apps on right on the desktop (just dragging them from the menu).

Anyway thanks,
                ReSeth

But another thing:

My laptop and also the desktop of my parents (I force-moved them to Kubuntu ) do not by default connect to a configured WLAN after suspend or reboot... and this is really disturbing especially for the latter

If this would not be enough: The "system tray" widget to reconnect with the network (now placed on the desktop) is blank after reboot or suspend. So I have to remove it and replace it on the desktop - each time after suspend or reboot
                this is hardly tolerable for me but unworkable for my nearly retired parents...

I would appreciate help on this issue a lot.

Thanks again,
                ReSeth

Comment

I do not have this option right-clicking the app.
                  You have to unlock the widgets.
                  rightclick on desktop->unlock widgets
                  HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                  4 GB Ram
                  Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
                  X