This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Beta or even the latest daily build will not boot

I have burned several CD's all test OK. They start to boot and get all the way to where the KDM should load but all I get is a blue screen with Diagonial lines and nothing. Funny thing is the system I am trying to boot on has been running interpid sense alpha 2 and is updated everyday so I assume I am running the beta version there. I am just trying to do a fresh install in a seperate partition just to test some vmware stuff. I have tried to boot with the safe option and without ACPI
    System76 Kudu Professional 17.3 Laptop 8Gig Memory Kubuntu 14.04

Re: The Beta or even the latest daily build will not boot

I tried the Ubuntu Beta DVD and it boots llive and installed perfectly. I am lost. Whats up with Kubuntu??

Comment

I had been having the same problem as well. Burned several cd's, including the most recent daily. No luck.

Today, I did a net update after re-installing the KDE4 Remix of Hardy. Finally got updated to Intrepid. Don't know if it will work for you.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...grades/Kubuntu

Comment

Well I tried the 13 Oct daily build still not working.

Daily Activist

I could do like you did or I could install the Intrepid Ibex Alpha 4 (it works fine) and update from there but I was just trying for a clean install of the X86 Beta. (just me being anal) I have the X86-64 beta working fine. I just don't like to mess around with loading the 32bit FF to get flash to work (I have done it but updates are a hassle sometimes) . Have to be able to watch the videos on dallascowboys.com and have no other use for 64bit stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by jwhibdon

I have burned several CD's all test OK. They start to boot and get all the way to where the KDM should load but all I get is a blue screen with Diagonial lines and nothing.
          Originally posted by jwhibdon

I tried the Ubuntu Beta DVD and it boots llive and installed perfectly.
          The K Display Manager (KDM) and the Gnome Display Manager (GDM) are not the same, so it should not be too surprising that they sometimes get different results on the same system. Did you try F4 "Safe Graphics"?

Assuming a good CD with a recent daily build ISO on it, I would try some of the boot "cheatcodes" -- vga=791, noacpi, etc. It may be that there is a bug in the new KDM that doesn't exist in GDM, with respect to your specific hardware. The Live CD won't run my Nvidia 9600GT, for example -- at least the last Live CD I tried would not. But it would come up OK if I chose F4 "Safe Graphics" mode.

Comment

dibl:

Yes I did try the F4 "Safe Graphics I did not try the cheatcodes because I did not know about them execpt the noacpi and I did try that. This is some kind of regression from alpha4 because that loads the Live CD and installs, video is poor but it upgrades and clears that up fine. I think it is in the KDM because it appears the screen goes blue and sometimes red just about where the KDM should load. It is most likely my video card (Nvidia 7600GS). I was just going to try the install and see if it worked but I have never been able to fix a GRUB problem yet, just don't understand how it works so am scared to try. I know everyone claims it is easy but not to me. I can't even figure out how to make the version I want, boot as default and I have read everything I can find just don't understand it.

Comment

Your problem sounds very similar to mine. I installed the Kubuntu beta and was running it with no display problems until the updates that I did on Sunday 10/12. When I rebooted after installing the updates, the boot went normally until the desktop was supposed to display (after the KDE 4.1 splogo thing). All I get is HORIZONTAL bars as opposed to diagonal, but it could be the same thing. I found a couple of things.

1. If I booted into the recovery mode and ran "xfix" I could boot cleanly. But my nvidia driver would no longer be loaded or, of course, active. Big PITA to get it to install again. btw, that would be the nvidia 173 driver. I could not get the 177 driver to install at all. I have a fx6200 card in this computer.

2. Once while using a different computer I just kept pressing the reset button on the Kubuntu machine (don't ask me why. Frustration I guess). After about 6 or 8 tries, it surprised me and finally came up normally. I was able to use the machine with no further display issues. (At least, not related to this problem). But I still get the horizontal bars instead of a desktop probably 80% of the time when I boot. The machine will never boot cleanly the first time. It always takes at least 3 or 4 tires and sometimes more.

Xeddog

Comment

Working...
              X