X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrading to Beta

Hi everyone,
    I've noticed Kubunbtu Intepid Ibex Beta is now out.I'm currently using Alpha 6 with the latest updates.
    I want to upgrade to the beta,but I looked on the Kubuntu website and it gave the option to use Adept-Manager(but I only have the latest Adept)and Synaptic.So I was wondering what the instructions I would need to update,as since Alpha 1 I had been burning a cd for each alpha,but I don't have many discs left and I don't fancy doing a fresh install,as my system is quite stable.

Regards,
    STEVE555

Re: Upgrading to Beta

sudo apt-get update will bring you up to beta! I am still running from Feisty 7.4 by just upgrading & am now running 8.10 beta

Cary
    The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 7859, registered Linux user 470405 Lenovo T510 Kubuntu Trusty 64bit, Intel Core i5-560M, 8 GB PC3-DDR3 SDRAM - 1067 MHz, NVIDIA NVS 3100m PCI Express, Wireless Centrino N 6300 My website http://www.qah.org.au

Comment

You can upgrade over the internet - instructions are here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...grades/Kubuntu

Although I would imagine that if you are already on the 8.10 track what caryb says is right.

I have been waiting for this announcement as I usually join the next version at beta stage. Think I'll get the CD and upgrade with that in case the net upgrade goes pear shaped!

I have a dell 630m laptop, for which Hardy and most predecessors have worked well. Am I likely to see any showstoppers here? Internet seems to be one of the big problems so my network hardware is:

Ethernet : Broadcom BCM4401-BO

Wireless - Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG.

Are any problems experienced with these?

Thanks

Ian

Comment

You can upgrade over the internet - instructions are here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...grades/Kubuntu
        Hi Lquidator,
                          I have tried that command earlier today,but I got "kdesudo command not found" I believe that command is for the old Adept-Manager from Hardy,I believe the one I'm using is meant to be called just Adept.That is mainly the reason why I had put the post up.

Regards,
                    STEVE555

Comment

Alphas, Beta(s) and final release are just snapshots of the same repository, so if you're running an alpha version of intrepid, you'll have beta (and eventually the release version) by just upgrading the installed packages on your machine as upgrades come available with your preferred package manager (apt, Adept, Synaptic).

The upgrade instructions you find on the documentation and announcements apply to upgrading from earlier release versions to a newer one (like hardy->intrepid)

Comment

You should be able to just go into Adept and update from there.
            Try clicking on Sources first to build the source list, then click Changes >Upgrade >Apply Changes.
            (I am not on my Kubuntu box right now, so hopefully I got those steps right )
            &quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Comment

I was pretty sure my 512 mb 2.4 ghz small form factor with the ancient intel onboard video would crawl on 8.10 with kde 4.x I did not use cli aptitude but updated the way stated for kubuntu.

Update went off without a hitch. NOTE: I had purged severa lKDE programs months past on previous editions and kept updating previous with sed on /etc/apt/sources.list and then cli via aptitude.

Very smooth update.

Activating the compiz yields some wierd flicker of stubby partial lines and occasional a one second fade to black, but I can deactivate compiz. I will

Really slick.

And I thought I would be learning how to use lauchpad, and then abandoning and getting 3.5.9 via an install of ubuntu server 8.10 and a whole lot of add ons via aptitude.

deborphan got rid of 12 orphans and aptitude autoclean got rid of 211 mb, but all in all a real slick upgrade and I did not have to do the dpkg -configure -a trick.

Thanks

peace, Mark

Comment

Working...
              X