This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NVidia drivers not installing

Well, I took the leap and installed 8.10 over the weekend.
    So far everything seems to be ok except I can't get the NVidia restricted drivers to install.
    I have a XFX 8600 GT XXX video card. Any help would be appreciated.
    &quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Re: NVidia drivers not installing

What exactly is happening when you try to install them?

If you're running into a problem I've seen more than once, you may need to "sudo rm -rf /var/lib/dkms/nvidia/1*" and then re-install the nvidia drivers.
    Specs:&nbsp; Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

Hello,

I installed nvidia drivers for my GeForce 8500GT card using command

sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-177

Hope this will help you also.

Kubuntu User # 26056<br />Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3 AMD Athlon II X2 250 4Gb Ram 1x40Gb SSd Hdd +500gb Home&nbsp; Nvidia Gf8500Gt <br />AcerAspireOne A150

Comment

I'll have to give that a shot tonight. Haven't had much time to mess with it, but plan to try and get a couple things working tonight after work.
        Thanks.
        &quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Comment

If the glx packaged driver doesn't work, I had great luck today with the beta 177.76 driver, downloaded from here:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=119682

Thanks to Steve555 for the tip.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
            If the glx packaged driver doesn't work, I had great luck today with the beta 177.76 driver, downloaded from here:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=119682

Thanks to Steve555 for the tip.
            The package should work, unless your dkms directory has multiple versions in it (see https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...24/+bug/261816 for solution).

I'm running the latest package right now, which is also v177.76.

-J
            Specs:&nbsp; Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

Ok, so one problem is solved. I ran the Adept Updater and the NVidia driver is now installed and working. YAY!!
              but..... now when I go into system settings and try to enable desktop effects, my screen just goes black and I have to reboot to be able to see anything again.
              Any thoughts on that one?

Comment

How did you install that driver after installing that package? When I run dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg, it wont ask me for the driver at all and when I use old xorg.conf, it does not work.

Comment

After I had run the all the updates, I just went to KMenu >Applications >System >Hardware Drivers and installed the NVidia driver from there.
                  Still having weird issues every now and then but, I am just chalking it up to 8.10 not being final yet.

Comment

I was having a heck of a time getting mine to work for my laptop. But was able to via ENVYNG last night, the auto install didn't work so I went the manual route and that worked perfect.

Originally posted by CVPunk
                    Well, I took the leap and installed 8.10 over the weekend.
                    So far everything seems to be ok except I can't get the NVidia restricted drivers to install.
                    I have a XFX 8600 GT XXX video card. Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

Seemed like an appropriate place to ask...

Does anyone have a definitive answer to the question of how should I get my nvidia driver for II? I just noticed with the beta that 177.? is now available with Restricted Driver Manager... or there is the sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-177 method or the great EnvyNG....

So which should I use and why Since I have a 7600GT I am going to need to be able to get the latest and greatest bug fix releases to perhaps ever see a non-corrupted desktop... and so if the Restricted Driver Manager will be "locked" in it's offerings at 8.10 launch (like hardy apparently is), then that won't work... any thoughts anyone?

Comment

On a clean install from today's daily build, trying to install from hardware drivers (jockey), nothing happened. After updating adept and searching for nvidia, I noticed the Nvidia's kernel headers are not installed. After installing the required header, I went back to hardware drivers selected the driver and all installed correctly.
                        Kubuntu 10.10 64bit<br />KDE 4.5.3<br />Kernel: 2.6.35.22 generic<br />Nvidia Driver: 260.19.06<br />Dell Dimension 9200 - Core 2 Duo 6300 - 3GB Ram<br />Nvidia Geforce 7900GS<br /><br />Linux user since March 2004<br />Linux user #526793

Comment

I used the downloaded 177.78 beta driver yesterday, on the 2.6.27-5 kernel (after installing the kernel-headers). It works perfectly, as far as I can tell. Runs Compiz, gives decent glxgears performance, etc.

jockey-kde didn't work for me either -- that was the first thing I tried.

Comment

Working...
                          X