This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boldly go where no one has gone before?

OH yes I'm tempted.. so very tempted. Anyone install this puppy yet?

Re: Boldly go where no one has gone before?

I think Rog131 did it -- I'm chicken.

Comment

Me:

Upgrade > From Hardy to Intrepid (that was pre-alpha).

Using Intrepid alternate CD > Topic: Intrepid Ibex Alpha-1 alternate CD installation

Others:

> Topic: Upgrading to Intrepid Alpha

> Topic: Intrepid: Strange mouse happenings
      Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
      1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
      2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Yep.

I installed it on Monday.

Actually went rather smoothly for an alpha 1, I think.

Initially it wouldn't boot to X with the default grub menu choice - I had to go to the recovery mode and fix X. After that X worked. Sound even worked after installing alsa and adjusting the mixer. Haven't tried wireless, so I don't know about that.

Still a bit rough trying to customize everything, and get it the way I am used to doing things, but overall it looks very impressive.

Firefox crashes a lot - don't know if it is flash based or java or whatever, but closing one window sometimes causes all of firefox to go down.

I am having some issues with screen updating that needs me to either move the mouse or press a key in order for the screen to respond. That is kind of strange. There is a separate post about this.

Eye candy strikes me as way better than anything else I have seen.

Oh, for some reason the root password is not my user password, so I can't do things graphically. kdesudo has to be installed via apt-get, and that helps with some things, but when trying to update the clock, for example, it asks for the root password, so I type it in, but the pop-up window calls it the wrong password. I can sudo in fine in konsole, but most of the time with the pop-up windows, there isn't a password that works. Maybe alpha 2.

Overall, for an alpha-1, I am very impressed.

Comment

For all who are pushing the envelope and have installed 8.10 II, just keep in mind the notice posted by Claydoh here concerning issues surrounding any Alpha release.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
            For all who are pushing the envelope and have installed 8.10 II, just keep in mind the notice posted by Claydoh here concerning issues surrounding any Alpha release.
            Yep, that's exactly why I'm holding back for a bit on 8.10 -- at least until Beta comes out.

A week ago I installed Sidux 2008-02 on a new JFS formatted partition, so that's my "backup" OS -- no one seems to know how long or well JFS will hold up, so I can't trust it too much. Kubuntu 8.04 with KDE 4.1 Beta is my "main" OS -- except for an occasional KDE 4.1 hiccup it seems to be holding up very well. So I can't stand to replace 8.04 with 8.10 until I can rely on 8.10 -- I need one OS that I can count on! :P

Comment

Originally posted by suplero
              Firefox crashes a lot - don't know if it is flash based or java or whatever, but closing one window sometimes causes all of firefox to go down.
              I noticed this one too... I think it's related to flash. I can crash it pretty consistently by going to dilbert.com.

-J
              Specs:  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

Originally posted by 3vi1

I can crash it pretty consistently by going to dilbert.com.
                I took that challenge ...

Happiness is a 64-bit Linux system that plays Dilbert.com flash comics!

Comment

Hi all,
                  I decided to take the plunge myself when Intrepid Alpha1 became available.

Regards,
                  STEVE555

Comment

I too had the word hardy replaced with intrepid from day 1! As said in another post Intrepid = alpha, KDE4 = beta the combination = bumpy ride One good thing was I cleaned out the hangover problems of Feisty, Gutsy then Hardy upgrades on this machine so now I have a bright & shiny Intrepid working good.

Cary
                    The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 7859, registered Linux user 470405 Lenovo T510 Kubuntu Trusty 64bit, Intel Core i5-560M, 8 GB PC3-DDR3 SDRAM - 1067 MHz, NVIDIA NVS 3100m PCI Express, Wireless Centrino N 6300 My website http://www.qah.org.au

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                      I took that challenge ...

Happiness is a 64-bit Linux system that plays Dilbert.com flash comics!
                      Hmmm... I just reloaded the page a dozen times without a crash. It may have been due to a specific flash advert that they are no longer showing.

-J
                      Specs:  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

Question: will an update to intrepid mess up a KDE3 installation (e.g. overwriting the .kde directory with KDE4 configs)? I'd prefer to hold after reading this in the ubuntu forum.

Comment

As Intrepid uses the same names for KDE4 apps as KDE3 it will remove kde3 to upgrade to KDE4, the only option is to stick to Hardy which names KDE4 apps with the kde4 in the name to differentiate.

Cary
                          The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 7859, registered Linux user 470405 Lenovo T510 Kubuntu Trusty 64bit, Intel Core i5-560M, 8 GB PC3-DDR3 SDRAM - 1067 MHz, NVIDIA NVS 3100m PCI Express, Wireless Centrino N 6300 My website http://www.qah.org.au

Comment

I just installed Alpha 2. I love KDE 4!

I am finding I have the same problem as was listed in one of the posts above. Anybody know if there is a fix for this or a workaround?

Oh, for some reason the root password is not my user password, so I can't do things graphically. kdesudo has to be installed via apt-get, and that helps with some things, but when trying to update the clock, for example, it asks for the root password, so I type it in, but the pop-up window calls it the wrong password. I can sudo in fine in konsole, but most of the time with the pop-up windows, there isn't a password that works.

Comment

OK, I've had it with my crappy KDE4.1 on Hardy Heron -- twice in 2 days I've had to reboot into sidux just to do a simple task like run my scanner. Intrepid Ibex RC1 is burning onto a CD now .... more drama to follow.

Comment

Working...
                              X