X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

changing my graphics card

Hi,

I need to replace my graphics card on my PC. Currently I have perfectly running K8.10 with compiz-fusion and I'm not sure If I have to do something before replace the hardware in order to get run kubuntu wihtout graphics problems after the replacement.

Should I just replace the graphics card? or I need deactivated the current graphics drivers?

Thanks for you help

Re: changing my graphics card

If your new display adapter uses the same driver as the old one you should not have to do anything. So if both are Nvidia of similar age you should be OK. If they are different you should probably make sure you have the appropriate xserver installed for the new card and then you should be able to boot into recovery mode and run xfix. By default xserver-xorg-video-all is installed and it brings in all drivers so this should work. You might need to do some tweaking to get optimal performance out of your new card.

Comment

Re: changing my graphics card

I've changed out my graphics card several times (upgrades). Here's what I do:

1. Change to a VESA display (several ways to do this -- search and see which one you like best).

2. Shut down and swap the cards.

3. Boot your system and the VESA display should still work on the new card. Note that the new card might require a boot option that the old card did not require -- see #2 on the Top 20 FAQs in my signature.

4. Now you can install a proprietary driver and get your Compiz running again.

Comment

Working...
      X