This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATI Radeon 2400 PRO Problems!

I have kubuntu 8.10 installed with vista home basic. Everything was working perfectly, but when I added a new graphics card (radeon 2400) I can't see anything after the initial loading screen I just get a blank screen and my monitor says something along the lines of the current input timing is not supported by the monitor display. I have been restarting between vista and kubuntu constantly for the last week trying all the different methods I have found, but sadly not a single one of them has made any difference at all.

I've tried sudo apt-get install update and I have tried installing fglrx through apt-get, but it says it cannot be found. I can't connect to the internet because it wont even let me login. When I stop kdm and try running it again it comes up with:

X: Warning; Process set to priority -1 instead of requested priority 0
    Fatal server error:
    Server is already active for display 0

So I follow the rest of the instructions and remove it and try starting x up again, but it's the same thing. Please help me!

Oh yeh I forgot to mention that I get the same thing when I try running from the live cd too.

Re: ATI Radeon 2400 PRO Problems!

I have had the same problem. I was using the previous release hardy and this happened so I install envyng available through the distros

The full instruction are here and I recommend you read them first if you can.

http://albertomilone.com/envyngfaq.html#A

If you are having trouble with what you have now try to restart and press escape after the boot screen and before the kubuntu logo, then select the recovery mode, select either fix broken package or fix xserver video errors. If you have installed the fglrx settings or some of them you will need to purge them by perhaps typing :

sudo apt-get purge xorg-driver-fglrx

You could also here try to install the envy programme which worked for me ( sadly now does not in jaunty yet ) by typing

sudo apt-get install envyng-qt

This should then give you an easy to use gui which should try to download the right drivers for you and install them properly ( it worked for me as I really tested the idiots guide and could not except using this!)

This should then work for you.

Failing all of that...

Have you got a live cd- demo cd?

Trying booting in with that, navigating to your drives using dolphin via root folder etc, backing up what you can/need to another drive if can. Then at least you can perhaps reinstall the software and use the mesa drivers which at least work from scratch with video card but do not do all the fancy 3d stuff. Then when reinstalled you can try the envy package or the other is the ATI catalyst programme also in the depos which does a similar ( but in my view less successful ) job.

Hope that works matey

Let us know how you get on and if I can give any more info

remember though back up any essentials you have first!!if you do reinstall

BTW When I first got the pc with this card I also used the older video out ( ie bypassed the video card) to change my settings if that helps but it was touch and go

Anyway good luck...any other advice people?
    Running Kubuntu Karmic Koala&nbsp; with KDE 4.3 at home<br /><br />Kubuntu user 24342<br /><br />Running Dell Inspiron 530 Dual Core 3ghz<br /><br />and also running Kubuntu on a Lenovo thinkpad using a live pen drive<br /><br />Still no Microsoft here!

Comment

No luck... I've tried booting kubuntu and ubuntu from the live cd but it just get the same thing. Is there anyway to change the resolution and refresh rate through text mode?

Comment

not sure about that...anybody else throw some light on this.

Hmm I remember when u had trouble with II 8.10 I gave up as i would have to run the live cd in safe mode and then disable randr...give that a try so fire up the live cd and then before you press test kubuntu hit f4 and select safe mode

Can you bypass your video card for now. ie plug into the old video output for now ...restore the pc as it was and then try again?
        Running Kubuntu Karmic Koala&nbsp; with KDE 4.3 at home<br /><br />Kubuntu user 24342<br /><br />Running Dell Inspiron 530 Dual Core 3ghz<br /><br />and also running Kubuntu on a Lenovo thinkpad using a live pen drive<br /><br />Still no Microsoft here!

Comment

you might need one of those magic codes on your kernal line
          you should look in to this

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions
          the good stuff starts about 2/3 way down.
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

cool

never new that

thanks...

any use pauliso?

Comment

The vga=xxx boot option does not affect X, unless it puts your video card in a state that the driver can not handle. It sets the framebuffer for display until X starts.

I know very little about the ATI drivers or Intrepid but I am fairly good with X and Debian, so working together we might be able to make this work.

In jaunty the restricted repository makes the proprietary fglrx drivers available. If you run
              aptitude search fglrx
              does it list numerous packages? Have you enabled the restricted sources? Since you do not have GUI you can do this by editing /etc/apt/sources.list.
              sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list
              unless you prefer vim or emacs. Uncomment the lines for the restricted repository and update and then install the fglrx-kernel-source.

When you say you stop KDM but when you try to start it again it says it is already running. How did you stop it? Did it actually stop? To stop it you should run
              sudo invoke-rc.d kdm stop
              and to start it use
              sudo invoke-rc.d kdm start

To edit the monitor timings you edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf. It is seldom necessary to do this any more as the newer X servers can get the info from the hardware and use it. The most important thing is that you get the correct driver loaded ( a line like Driver "nvidia"). X may well be able to do this for itself also, if you do not tell it the wrong driver. In other words if you have the right driver for your hardware installed and no xorg.conf file it is fairly likely to work.

So, get the fglrx sources available and installed and watch carefully for any messages it gives you. Then see if youc an really stop and start kdm and we can work from there.

Comment

I changed my monitor from dvi to vga and I have now got a picture. I'm gonna install all the stuff I need and then change back to dvi. Thanks for the help

Comment

Working...
                X