This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burning Double Layer DVD: Calibration Area Full

I had a HP DVD Writer 1040e and I would get the area Calibration Area full when I tried to burn a Double layer disk. (Can't remember about single layer) I replaced the drive and my new drive is giving the same error. Just now I burned two single layer disks and it appeared to go perfectly (I will run a binary compare of the data on the disks to the original data to verify).

I have tried this in Nero Linux and Nero 7 (Windows) and it gave calibration area full.

I have also used K3B and Nautilus to try and burn a data DVD and I got different errors.

What is causing this?
    My Local Repository<br />Forums I am active on<br />Please help me with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Burning Double Layer DVD: Calibration Area Full

This may be a dumb question, but have you tried a different brand of dual layer DVD's? This error typically means either bad media, or a bad drive...

From the Nero website:
    9. I get a 'Power calibration error' or 'Calibration area (almost) full' error message. Why?

Power Calibration is controlled by the recorder.

Before any write operation, all recorders must do a 15 step power test to determine the optimum power for writing to the CD; this is called "Optimum Power Calibration"(OPC). During the write, it continues to do this test to get the best write throughout the whole CD; this is called "Running Optimum Power Calibration" (ROPC).
    This whole process is controlled by the recorder, though initiated by programs such as Nero. There is an area on the inner part of the CD for the test and test data info to be stored. You can use this area up to 999 times.

If you receive the "Power calibration error" or "Power calibration area is (amost) full" error message, the cause will be either poor media, poor power, or a defective recorder.

Please try the following solutions:

* Update the firmware of your recorder. Please check the manufacturer's website for the latest version.
    * Try another brand of CD-R or CD-RW media.
    * Try different power connectors, and for recorders, do not share power with other devices. It needs its own power connector. If the error occurs with an external recorder, the power source in the chassis could be the cause. As a test, try to take the recorder out of the external chassis and connect it internal.
    * Try different configurations, such as taking the CD-ROM to the primary IDE bus as slave and have only the recorder connected to the secondary IDE bus as master.
    * Send the recorder in for service.
    Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

I got a new burner. The disks worked before. I am going to buy a pack or DLs today, but if they work then that means the 40 disk spindle I bought is useless.
      My Local Repository<br />Forums I am active on<br />Please help me with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I bought a pack of Memorex DVD+R DLs and they work. Now the question is what to do with a 40 pack of Nextech DVD+R DLs....

Comment

Working...
        X