This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu + Ati Mobility Radeon 9600 = lines on screen

Hi, I am new here, and new to kubuntu (also relatively new to linux in general).

I have installed Kubuntu 8.10 on my laptop, and just right after everything worked (aparently) ok. Then I updated it (it said there was more than 200 updates, I clicked "yes" and kubuntu got updated).
    After that, I rebooted the computer and... all I get are lines on the screen (lines like http://www.kubuntu-es.org/foro/20090...rayas-arrancar).

I have only access to the console under recovery mode. From there I changed the xorg.conf file by adding the line: driver "vesa", but still nothing. I also tried to fix the xserver with "xfix" option on recovery mode. Also reconfigured xserver-xorg, and also I downloaded the drivers from the ATI/AMD website and installed them correctly, but still nothing.

To sum up:
    -With a clean xorg.conf, or one with the line "vesa" or "ati" -> I get the lines. All I can do is reboot by doing RSEUIB.
    -With the xorg.conf after installing the propietary driver (a lot of lines in the file) -> kubuntu really freezes after the log screen (at least it appears), and can´t even do the RSEUIB thing.

Any idea?

P.S.: Sorry if I made spelling mistakes...)

More data:
    lspci | grep VGA
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV350 [Mobility Radeon 9600 M10]

Re: Kubuntu + Ati Mobility Radeon 9600 = lines on screen

time to start over

Code:
     sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
    <- that will reset your xorg file
    Code:
     sudo /etc/init.d/kdm restart
    <- force restart of kdm. to use new xorg

now that you have the "default" back
    for me (and not others) envy-ng seams to install the driver correctly but you will need to install it first

Code:
    sudo apt-get install envyng-qt
    <- this should also install envyng core

now in the "K" menu look for envyng. OR alt+f2 (default for klauncher) run envyng
    check off the recommended driver hit apply
    hopefully after this your xorg will be working correctly. if not reset the xorg.

Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Thanks sithlord48 for answering.

First, I entered in the recovery mode, then "root" (the only thing I can do). And I wrote what you said:

Then I pressed "enter" and got this:

The blue color is from the "windows is shutting down" screen. I used Windows just before.
      When that appears, I can only do the RSEUIB thing...

So it didn't work. Any other ideas?

P.S.: After the RSEUIB thing, I opened xorg.file, from the "root" console:

Comment

you seam to be missing a line in the xorg file
        try adding to you device section

Driver "radeon"

Comment

It didn't work. I tried with "radeon", "ati" and "vesa", and all I got were lines.
          I have copied some log files, the order I followed was this:

- Root console on the recovery mode
          - Change xorg.file with nano
          - "reboot" on the console
          - Normal booting on grub
          - After the Kubuntu blue line (when it loads), the creepy lines made appearance...
          - Reboot by doing RSEUIB
          - Boot a LiveCD and copied the log files
          - Then "root" console again to change xorg.conf... and so on.

FINALLY, I installed (for the 10th time) the fglrx driver from ATI/AMD website, EXACTLY the same way as the many times before, from the "root" console, and this time, KDE didn't freeze (all the previous times, it froze after the login screen, no lines, but totally froze, couldn't even do the RSEUIB thing), it SEEMS to be working properly.

Now I am a little sceptic, and I'd like to know if it's going to work for good...
          That's why I am uploading the log files (there is something about an inifite loop on them)

Now that it seems to be working, should I install envyng, sithlord48? And thanks for taking the time.
          I am really afraid of the lines...

P.S.: I zip the log files, so it's a zip file, not txt, just change the extension.
          Attached Files

Comment

you will not need to use envy-ng ne more. envy-ng is a tool that downloads and installs the drivers for your video card...

Comment

Ok, then I won't download them.
              Did you see the log files? Any idea why the lines appeared with the open drivers? What does the infinite loop on them mean?
              I uploaded the zip file: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=L8VUQXPK

Comment

i have no idea but thats odd that is just started working after a few attemps , but sometimes it just works that way

Comment

Working...
                X