Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vaio laptop and copied dvd didn't get along ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vaio laptop and copied dvd didn't get along ...

Hi,

I tried to play a copied dvd movie (I know...I'm bad) with my vaio laptop running Intrepid.
    It wouldn't play.

Now any dvd causes an error which requests that I install libdvdcss.
    I have installed and re-installed this several times but the same error still comes up and I still cannot play any dvd or even music cds.

The drive spins up and makes promising noises but never delivers.

Further .. I thought 'ok I'll just re-install Intrepid, no probs' ... but I can't even do that now. The laptop just doesn't run the cd installer and boots into Intrepid as usual.

I know Sony are tight on copyright but disabling my drive completely seems strong.

Can anyone suggest what I should do, please?
    Conflict is sleep. Peace is awakening.

Re: Vaio laptop and copied dvd didn't get along ...

Examine the BIOS to make sure that the computer is set to boot from the CD first, and not the Hard Drive.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

The dvd drive is 1st Boot Device.

Comment

Then are you sure that you have a good burn? Can you check if the install begins on another computer?

Dibl makes some good points about getting the burn right on http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3099811.0 albeit that the question #1 is titled "Installation Freezes at xx%."

Also look at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto
        "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion.

However, I have a number of different cds with various KDE versions on.
          They all do the same thing - that is , they do not run.
          I re-downloaded the iso and burned a fresh cd but that is the same.

Comment

Sounds to me like an unfortunate coincidence, rather than sabotage on the part of the manufacturer. After all, if they don't like copying they shouldn't make the hardware that enables you to do it.

When you insert a data disk whilst the OS is running are you able to navigate it via dolphin? Have you attempted to clean the lens?

Comment

Hmm...

Can your laptop boot from a USB stick? Have you tried putting the iso on a stick with UNetbootin?

Alternatively, you could try an online upgrade of your present system from Hardy to Intrepid (a dirty"upgrade as opposed to a "clean"upgrade) CAUTION - it might not work well and you risk losing data if you don't back it up.

Comment

...Yes The Liquidator is right. If your DVD-Rom is "dirty" and needs a lens cleaner then upgrading to Intrepid won't help

Comment

Sabotage bit was just a joke

I have tried cleaning the lens again - no change.

I am already on Intrepid.
                  I can navigate data cds in Dolphin.

I guess I'll give the usb stick install a go.

Thanks for the help.
                  I'll post later how it went.

Comment

Well, its seems my vaio doesnt have the option to boot from a stick.

So .. back to the drawing board.

I notice that if I click play dvd in Kaffeine without a dvd in the drive, I still get the same error - saying 'This dvd is encrypted .. install libdvdcss .. '.
                    Is this a clue?
                    Do I have to re-install the drive or something?

Comment

Okay, so if you can navigate the a data cd from the drive that suggests to me you have a software problem rather than a hardware one.

Did Kaffeine freeze at any time?

You could try a fresh Kaffeine configuration. Now I'm not at my Linux machine right now so the precise location might not be right, but if you open dolphin and select view/ view hidden files and go to your home folder and select .kde. Within there (probably within share/apps) you should see a folder marked kaffeine. Rename it kaffeine-old or something like that. Then re-launch kaffeine. It will be a "clean" configuration i.e as if you were running it for the first time. Insert a CD. If it works you will be able to delete the Kaffeine -old folder as a new one will be created.

Any joy?

Comment

No luck.

I did as you kindly suggested ... but the same error comes up ...DVD is encrytped, install libdvdcss.
                        Having done that a dozen times I did it again anyway but no change.
                        Konsole returns ; libdvdcss is the latest version.

Dragon player also will not play any dvd.

Isn't it odd that that the same alert (DVD is encrytped, install libdvdcss) comes up even when there is no dvd in the drive?
                        If its a software prob, why can i not run an install cd?

Its gotta be something but its not making sense yet!?

Comment

In your initial post you said you reinstalled libdvdcss. Did you reinstall libdvdcss2? I suggest you try
                          sudo aptitude reinstall libdvdcss2

Comment

Thanks mando_hacker, I have tried your suggestion too twice but no change.

I still get the same error message;
                            "This DVD Video is encrypted. To be able to watch it you will need to install libdvdcss by running from a console: sudo /usr/share/doc/kaffeine/install-css.sh. In some countries it is illegal to install the decryption software without permission from the video copyright holder."

I have followed the instructions the error message offers to install libdvdcss which did indeed install an earlier version than was already installed.

I have also run apt-get install libdvdcss2.

All to no avail.

Comment

Hmmm ...

I tried mounting and umounting a few random dvds using terminal.
                              So then I get one dvd to play properly via both kaffeine and dragon player.
                              But no others that I tried out of 4 dvds are recognised - all 'proper' dvds rented from lovefilm.
                              When I run 'sudo mount /dev/scd0' I get 'no medium found'

I figure ... if I can play some dvds then I ought to be able to re-install from cd.
                              However, when I try this, boot up just runs straight past the install cd and into the OS on the hard drive as usual.

I am stumped here.
                              No comprendo.
                              I usually at least have an idea where to go with a problem but I am at a loss.

Anyone ... ?

Comment

Working...
                              X