This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Audio

Did I buy the wrong brand of laptop? It's an Asus F80L Core 2 Duo. The sound card is an Intel 82801H (ICH8 family). I have done some research, including using Dibl's excellent 20 faq post and reading the ALSA website. It's possible that the AD1984 driver might work but I don't see it on the ALSA website (just an AD1985). So there's no audio.

Is the chipset hostile to linux? The only way I got Kubuntu 8.10 running at all was to use wubi, so I have a virtual Linux machine. No install disk would work!

Thanks for reading.

rogerduncan100

Re: No Audio

The chipset is not hostile to linux and the onboard sound will work. It may require a line in /etc/modutils/alsa_local like
    options snd-hda-intel model=vaio
    where there are numerous options to model. First you should see if the modules are loaded
    lsmod | grep snd
    If they are then make sure your volume is turned up. You will need to investigate both PCM and Master volume and the possibility that PCM is captured by master volume.

A little google work will show you an Ubuntu forum in which an almost comprehensive list of models is available.

Comment

That's great news! I really like Kubuntu and I want to get it working. I will look further and get back to you. Thanks for replying!

Comment

Yes, you were right, I have sound now. Your suggestion to google was very helpful: I googled "Asus F80L Linux". The website that hekped me was the "Linux Laptop Wiki"

http://www.linlap.com/

It explained to the layman (me) how to download and install the latest package of ALSA drivers.

Thanks for keeping me going!

Comment

Working...
        X