This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toshiba A105-S4004 Fan not working

Hi, I'm new to linux and I just installed kubuntu yesterday. Everything's working fine except my laptop fan never seems to spin up. Ever. Granted, I'm wet behind the ears when it comes to linux, but I've tried googling and searching forums for solutions to my problem-- looking for Toshiba ACPI patches and learning terminal commands. The ACPI works completely fine, except for the fan. LCD brightness and the other power controls all work. I think I've learned enough to present a worthwhile case to you all...

I have installed toshutils through the console, and when I try to turn the fan on through "fan -n", the terminal returns "fan: laptop does not have cooling fan or kernel module not installed."

I've read a bit about different kernels and such, but I haven't installed any yet (don't know how).

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Toshiba A105-S4004 Fan not working

toshutils -

"Note that these utilities work with APM features in the Toshiba BIOS. If your laptop's BIOS only
    supports ACPI and not APM, then toshutils will probably not work for you. Toshiba's newer models tend to support ACPI only, and therefore toshutils will not work with them."
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: Toshiba A105-S4004 Fan not working

Thanks for the explanation. I guess my fan isn't completely dead, it's been spinning very slowly the whole time-- temps are idling around 50C, which I suppose is tolerable for a mobile processor.

Still, any tips on utilities or console commands I can use would be appreciated...

Comment

Working...
      X