This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keyboard locks up

I upgraded my PC to intrepid on Saturday. Everything seemed to work fine until Sunday night while working on a project, my keyboard just stopped working. This is only the case for my profile. I have a guest profile which seems to have no issues.

I was having issues getting some of my keys to be recognized after upgrading and the layout in the settings wasn't enough. I have a combo wireless Microsoft keyboard and mouse. The mouse continues to work. The one odd thing about this issue is that the F-lock key would work but nothing else did. I restarted multiple times and had no problem logging in. Once I got logged in and KDM started, my keyboard stopped working. My guest profile doesn't have any issues w/ the keyboard. I switched to a wired keyboard and have the same issue. The batteries in the keyboard were still full of juice.

Any ideas?

Re: Keyboard locks up

no idea what is causing it, but I would guess that if you reset the ~/.kde folder it would resolve the issue. Someone may have a less drastic measure to try. If not, log into the recovery mode, and rename the ~/.kde folder to something and reboot. This will reset the settings on your profile to default.

mm0
    Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Is this something that I can do from a different profile? The keyboard doesn't work at all. I can use the character map to create commands.

Also, is there a way to get the run dialog to pop-up without using Alt-F2?

Comment

should be able to do it from another profile, probably as root, or as the user whose profile you are editing.

mm0
        Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

At the login splash, you can click on the menu and change it to a command prompt login, and then once you login just issue
          Code:
          mv .kde .kde_bak
          and then issue
          Code:
          startx
          and you should get a clean KDE desktop.

Comment

Startx will work but you are not in exactly the situation you would have been in had you logged in through KDM. If you logout after startx you will not get a restarted KDM login. You can run
            sudo invoke-rc.d kdm stop
            and then
            sudo invoke-rc.d kdm start to restore the KDM login.

Comment

Got a similar problem after the last update. After a while my keyboard turns around some keys such as AltGr stucks and gets me strange keys. Or the shift key turns round his function so that i have to activate it to print small letters. At the same time its impossible to mark anything on the screen as I was used to do. For this reason I don't think it's a matter of the keyboard but of kubuntu.
              working with kubuntu 8.10

Comment

Working...
              X