Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where are the KDE sound settings stored?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where are the KDE sound settings stored?

I have two sound devices, one onboard and one USB headset.

If I create a new user and login as that user some sound will be played on the onboard device even if I move the USB headset to the top in all the Default Output Device Preference. Setting Headset to the default device in asoundconf doesn't help.

The only fix I found is to reboot and disable the onboard sound card in bios. KDE will then detect that a soundcard is removed and ask if I would like to remove it from KDE too. Now all sound is playing on my headset and i can reboot and activate the onboard card in bios again.

But if i knew where the KDE sound settings is stored i might figure out a way to skip rebooting and temporary disable the card in bios.

Re: Were are the KDE sound settings stored?

Good question. I can get sound out of both the USB headset and my onboard sound to speakers but not just to the USB headset. It matters not though because other than music I gave up with multimedia in Linux. It's just not worth the headache.

Comment

#6 in the FAQs linked in my signature has some sound troubleshooting links.

I don't think there is "a" place for all the sound settings. There's the KDE mixer for settings on a given (enabled) device, there's the file /etc/modules where linked kernel modules are listed, including any sound module being used.

Comment

I looked at the /etc/modules after reboot with and without the on-board soundcard enabled but it didn't change. The only modules I can see is:
        fuse
        lp

KDE somehow detects that I have disabled the on-board sound device so I believe the setting must be stored somewhere in KDE-settings for that user. And after reboot and reactivation of the card the problem does not reappear for that user.

Comment

Re: Where are the KDE sound settings stored?

If there is no sound module listed in /etc/modules, then you'll need to follow the guidance in FAQ #6 and follow the rabbit trail to learn the name of the right driver for your new card, and install it.

For fun, you could run this command in the konsole:

Code:
          lsmod | grep snd
          and see whether any sound modules are presently loaded.

Comment

Working...
          X