This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Microphone does not work (new laptop) Solved

I have just bought a new Acer 5535 Laptop with a webcam and microphone built in. Skype and all the others recognize the webcam, but I get sound but the mic does not work, I tried all the different settings but no sound from the mic. What am I doing wrong, or is there something else I need to install Thanks in Advance

I just installed a different version of skype skype-static and it works now, scratchy but usable

Re: Microphone does not work (new laptop)

What sound card do you have?

Comment

this is what alsa says it is Realtek 268
      lsusb says

audio device: ATI Technologies Inc: SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA

hope this helps

Comment

From the mixer window have you ticked the "capture" box?

Comment

Yes, I have marked all the capture areas but still no mic, not after doing the mic boost I get static no sound

Comment

Your microphone might not work with Skype because the the audio settings are inside Skype and not in the sound settings.

Try SButton (bottom left of Skype)>Options>Sound Devices.

Mine didn't set up automatically and had to be changed manually. With a headset it didn't work until I chose the option with "HW" in it. With a USB Internet phone it didn't work until I chose VOIP USB Phone.

Does the microphone work with any other apps?
            "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
            "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Also I am aware that some applications have been written so as to work with OSS rather than Alsa. I think I read somewhere that skype is one of them.

2 packages that might help you - alsa-oss and libasound2-plugins enable alsa to work with programs designed for OSS. Worth a try.

Ian

Comment

Re: Microphone does not work (new laptop) Solved

I'm pleased to note that the issue is solved.

Can you please let us know what the solution was, as that might help someone else?

Thanks

ian

Comment

I just installed skype-static and removed skype and it works now, get noise on the mic feedback but it is usable Thanks for all the help

Comment

My experience with the intel hda is that any mic really needs to be noise-cancelling, or a USB headset. With both the sound quality on my laptop is good enough to pass the audio setup wizard so perhaps an external mic would also help.

Comment

Working...
                    X