This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Device management --where?

Where in 8.10 am I to find hard drive/partitions? Have checked everywhere in Konqueror (don't use Dolphin), system menus, device icon on panel, etc. , and can't see any of the 17 partitions on two HDDs. Where the dickens is it?
    Third try at 8.10, two new CDs, defect-free, etc.
    => manual mounting only?
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Re: Device management --where?

It seems to not be installed by default.
    "sudo aptitude install kdf"
    It then show up as Applications->System->View Disk Usage

Comment

Hmmm. Thanks for that. I guess I'm looking for something similar to Disk & Filesystems, but so far, your tip comes the closest. Not at all convenient for navigating around, identifying partitions (disk-1,disk-2, etc.), etc. Very strange, indeed.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Hmm....my fstab show all my partitions and when I open dolphin i see them on the left. to mount just click.
        I am missing Disk & Filesystems as well but this works.
        HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I've made a folder in Konquerors left navigation panel that links to /media.

Comment

my fstab is empty (except for current partition and a thing or two other).
            Dolphin does not identify or give me a clue what is where (I have 17 partitions spread over two HDDs)--Dolphin calls them disk-1, disk-2 or some such.
            Konqueror detects nothing (=> First, I must mount them manually and/or install them to fstab).
            8.04 has none of these issues., and I frankly never had to think about them.

Thanks for the input.

Comment

You saying they are not even recognized? What does
              Code:
              fdisk -l
              say? I'd be most surprised if they weren't there
              Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

"You saying they are not even recognized?"

Yes, not recognized by Konqueror. Dolpin sees them, but calls the generically, disk-1, disk-2, etc. -- not very useful with 18 (not 17) partitions, or trying to navigate quickly around to fetch things.

sudo fdisk -lu
                does show all 18 partitions, no problem there.

I mean, I can manually mount this stuff but geez.
                Been in sidux for awhile and am spoiled. Actually, 8.04 works perfectly, too. sidux works better than Knoppix or others. Now I'm getting pop-up warnings about language settings (which I've set already). My 3rd try with 8.10 -- from two fresh, correct iso's and burnings.
                Thanks for the interest, but I don't think I'll be using this 8.10 much. There are still too many things screwed up. Konqueror seems crippled, too, and Adept threw some unpleasant surprises. I did get 300 MB of updates downloaded today , first thing, with this fresh, 3rd try. Sorry for the broken record.

Comment

mando_hacker, you came the closest with kdf.
                  It worked once (one time): View Disk Usage showed all 18 partitions AND >then< they showed up in Konqueror!. BUT ... alas! re-boot, try it again and View Disk Usage shows none of my partitions (except the 8.10 root). Buggy as the dickens. Oh well, upon re-boot, my "system tray" (on the panel) was reversed--everything over to the left now, Task Bar on right. Can't set a Konsole icon on the panel (rt-click method won't go). Etcetera. A train wreck for this obsessive user (my 3rd attempt at 8.10). Disk management is a moot issue.

Comment

EDIT: On careful review (and a heavy nudge by Fintan) I have come to realize that this post is bollocks Read on for amusement only...

On the off chance that you still haven't ditched 8.10 - they should all show up when you click the automounter plasmoid in the taskbar. Clicking on any one of them will mount it and open it in dolphin. To unmmount, click on the automounter once again and then on the "eject" icon next to the drive. Should work...
                    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Hey toad:
                      ......they should all show up when you click the automounter plasmoid in the taskbar.
                      where can I get one of those? I have been on 8.10 for a while and haven't seen that one.
                      I only have the "lowly" device manager on my panel but that doesn't (at least I haven't found it) an automount feature.
                      4 GB Ram
                      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Actually, it was too early in the morning for me 'cos what I wrote was gibberish - what I meant was the automount plasmoid which you have got - the one that pops up when you insert a usb stick or a cd. No more, no less...

As for Qqmike's problem - I don't see it as a problem but rather as a feature Seriously, I don't want any of my other partitions to show up unless I tell the installer that they exist and that they should be mounted! Which I do for the ones I want while the others I leave alone.

But hey, you can't please all the people of all the time

And now I'd better edit my post above so I don't appear a total dick-head.

Comment

Aw I was hoping I had missed something.

I know what you mean though although I do it the other way around. I mount all of my partitions at installation.
                          4 GB Ram
                          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Where in 8.10 am I to find hard drive/partitions? Have checked everywhere in Konqueror (don't use Dolphin), system menus, device icon on panel, etc. , and can't see any of the 17 partitions on two HDDs. Where the dickens is it?
                            Third try at 8.10, two new CDs, defect-free, etc.
                            => manual mounting only?

This how things are working at here with the KDE 4.2.1 (Jaunty)

Information

K > Applications > System > Info Center (KInfo Center) -> Partitions
                            This display shows information about partitions and hard disks of your system.
                            Fastlane: alt+f2 kinfocenter

and the package is kinfocenter (if not installed).

Mounting and unmounting partitions (that are not in the fstab) at here.

Both the Dolphin and the Konqueror are using the same bit and pices of code.

Konqueror:

Mount
                            File > Open File > Left click the unmounted partition at the Places panel > password query,...

Unmount
                            File > Open File > Right click the mounted partition at the Places panel > Unmount ...

Dolphin:

Press F9 if the Places panel is not on or View > Panels...

Dolphin does not identify or give me a clue what is where (I have 17 partitions spread over two HDDs)--Dolphin calls them disk-1, disk-2 or some such.
                            Have you tried to give them names/labels ?

Earlier > Topic: [SOLVED] Dolphin Media Name

The > How to fstab has
                            How to Label

Linux: How the label and the UUID are set depends on the file system type used. It can normally be set when creating/formatting the file system and the file system type usually has some tool to change it later on (e.g. e2tunefs,xfs_admin,reiserfstune,etc.)...

NTFS (Windows partitions):
                            Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
                            1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
                            2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

@ toad ... Yeah, pal, I want one of them there automounters, too! Maybe I'll use that line on some of the new victims posting here: Just use your automounter!

@ Fintan: I don't necessarily want them all mounted by fstab upon booting, but I do want a handy GUI to see them and mount them quickly. BUT having them all show up mounted is better than having them invisible and as disk-n in Dolphin, imo.

@ Rog131: As usual, your sense of humor is a bit lacking this fine morning, but you seem to have the bottom-line and a ray of hope on the horizon for those of us who will hang in for the next show. Except for the word "Places," that's about what we are used to in 8.04: a rt-click and mount/unmount. My 8.04 is right up there with sidux on these matters. For people like myself maintaining OSs all over the place and doing experiments, accessing, copying, etc., having an alert & ready GUI is nice.

Thanks, you guys.

Comment

Working...
                              X