Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kubuntu with LCD Monitor & HDMI TV-out - Setup Help please....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu with LCD Monitor & HDMI TV-out - Setup Help please....

Ok here's one for you.

I've got a T3-M3N8200 Asus Barebone with a Quad Phenom 9950 and 8gb RAM running Kubuntu 8.10amd64. The system has a NVIDIA integrated graphics card.

This system has a HDMI port on the back as well as the usual monitor port. So i've got my monitor plugged in and I've bought a 10metre long HDMI cable with the intention of running it across the room to my LG 32" HD TV...

This would mean i can use the computer as normal on the desk with monitor and then if i want to watch some HD video or play a game I can turn the TV on across the room...

So ideally i'd like to be able to just select the TV in settings/displays and flick between the two somehow. Does anyone know how to do this with HDMI as well as VGA?

I plugged it all in this morning and ran the Nvidia-settings configuration panel as sudo. It seemed to detect the display, but the problem was it just outputted a black screen. When i moved the mouse on my monitor across to the edge it then drifted over to the tv, so it's kinda working by the looks of it. But i don't want my mouse to be able to move off my monitor, i'd much rather be able to switch between the monitor and tv and treat them as seperate devices.

Also i don't get why it was just a black screen... I haven't managed to mess with it further cos i'm at work and just tried it quick this morning. But any help/advice/suggestions would be really appreciated. Or if anyone else has managed to do this, how do you do it with Kubuntu? and how do you get the TV to show in the displays section in settings?

THE BEST THING EVER would be if I didn't have to select which screen i wanted the output on but instead they just matched. So whatever was on one was just on the other and they were the same desktop space/view. That way i could just power one or the other or both on and use whichever i was nearer to or watch videos on the tv...

thanks.

Re: Kubuntu with LCD Monitor & HDMI TV-out - Setup Help please....

You need to configure the nvidia driver to use a cloned output on both of your screens instead of dual view OVER both of your screens. Should be a piece of cake

Comment

Originally posted by Lou
      You need to configure the nvidia driver to use a cloned output on both of your screens instead of dual view OVER both of your screens. Should be a piece of cake
      Yeah that sounds great. So how do I achieve this?

In nvidia-settings all i can see is "enable Xinerama"

Click on TV display and under configure you get
      "disable (requires X restart", "Seperate X screen" which is what i've got it on at the moment, and "TwinView (requires X restart)"

and there's the section that says the screen should be left, right, above or below the other screen but there's no "matching" or Clone or Same As!

Comment

hi i found there was no option for "clone" but after i ticked to enable xinerama the option appeared and now my tv is cloning my monitor. perfect!

My problem now is firefox doesn't output sound to hdmi or usb speakers, so sound on firefox such as youtube is still coming out of my monitor and not tv. other apps and kubuntu in general you can set different speakers.

how do i set firefox to output to different speakers?

Comment

Originally posted by jonah1980
          My problem now is firefox doesn't output sound to hdmi or usb speakers, so sound on firefox such as youtube is still coming out of my monitor and not tv. other apps and kubuntu in general you can set different speakers.

how do i set firefox to output to different speakers?
          That's an easy one as well: go to systemsettings -> sound and move your hdmi audio sound device above the one currently in use. You might check the box down on the left side to make all detected devices appear. One of them is your hdmi device. Move it up front and it will be the one your soundserver uses.

Comment

Also, just FYI, the reason you had a black screen before, but the mouse worked, is because of the way that KDE handle desktop images. I have heard that they are working on it to make it more like MS Windows. What I have done in the past is create one Image that is the resolution of both desktops combined.

mm0
            Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Working...
            X