This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't see legacy IDE drive

Please accept my apologizes since I'm not sure this is a Linux-specific question.

I recently bought a cheap system (Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 Gb RAM) on which I installed
    KUbuntu 8.10 that runs OK.

My motherboard (Gygabyte GCM S2L) features four SATA interfaces, two of which
    are occupied whith an HD and a DVD drive. It also offers an IDE connector on which
    I just connected an old 13Gb ext2 HD (the /home drive from my old Debian system)
    containing some data I would like to recover.

This latter drive is not "seen" by any of the Linux tools I tried (fdisk -lu, blkid, lhsw,
    kinfocenter). It doen't even seem to be detected by the BIOS.

So my question is: Is it possible, on such a system, to use both the SATA and IDE
    interfaces ? My motherboard's doc is unclear about this.

Thank you for your experience.
    Paul Preziosi

Re: Can't see legacy IDE drive

The problem is probably a BIOS setting (or lack thereof). Linux will see any drive that BIOS sees, AFAIK. Go into your BIOS and look at the IDE bus -- check for a "mode" setting. Try "legacy" or something like that. Also, you probably want the jumper on the IDE drive set to "cs" or "slave".

Comment

Re: Can't see legacy IDE drive

Thanks dibl for this reply.

Yet my BIOS doesn't seem to offer other options than "CHS", "LBA" or "Large"
      (all of which I already tried) and the drive was, from the start, jumped as slave.
      I guess my best bet, given the small size of the drive (by today standards),
      would be to remount it on my old system, purchase a 16 Gb USB drive and
      copy the whole content on it.
      Too bad I didn't think about this first !

I hope though that this might be useful for somebody else with the same
      kind of problem.
      Paul Preziosi

Comment

Working...
      X