Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

widescreen resolution problem with nvidia drivers...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

widescreen resolution problem with nvidia drivers...

Alright, as a long time ubuntu and gnome user, I figured I'd give the kde flavor a try. Installation was smooth enough, and when I got to the desktop, kubuntu recognized my widescreen(16:9) monitor and set an appropriate widescreen res., but things seemed a bit choppy. I downloaded envyng and installed the 177 nvidia driver and rebooted, only to find that the max res. I can set is 1280x1024 (my monitor supports up to 1920x1080). Has anyone else encountered this problem or found a fix for it yet? I suppose I could always roll back to the default driver, but I'd really like to use the nvidia driver to get a performance boost.

System specs if anyone cares:
    Pentium 4 3.0gHz
    2 gB ram
    nvidia 8600 gts

Thanks to anyone who helps!

Re: widescreen resolution problem with nvidia drivers...

I guess you have looked at your nvidia x server settings ? also there is the latest nvidia 180 drivers in the repos

Comment

Re: widescreen resolution problem with nvidia drivers...

Sounds suspiciously like an edid issue. I will get you a better link tomorrow (better than running from my memory as I am away from my main system atm)

In the nvidia control panel if you highlight the default screen you can pull the edid data. This will be a bunch of hex mumbers and such. Get a prog called parse-edid (link is not handy atm will get it for you) and a hex editor. Check the edid data with the parse-edid command (if you have a win box there are free forms of this software there) or post the hex portion of the edid data here and I can check it to see if it reports the right max resolution.

This link may be old and not for your hw but the principles and methods are still the same, just do some hex calcs to figure your max res and go.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show....php?p=1086826

Sorry for any confusion, it's late and all my info on this issue is on another pc. I will update tomorrow with more.

Comment

Working...
      X