This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to disable touchpad?

I am on a laptop. The touchpad, which I never use (I have a Thinkpad) is really bothering me. I've disabled the touchpad in Ubuntu/GNOME before, but KDE4 is new to me. Help?

Re: How to disable touchpad?

I've disabled it in the BIOS but I think there is a separate program as well which turns it off whenever you use the keyboard. BIOS is my way, though, 'cos I much prefer the little knob in the middle of the keyboard (when do they start making keyboards for desktops like that).

HTH
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by toad
      ... 'cos I much prefer the little knob in the middle of the keyboard ...
      I've never liked the eraser nub. Personally, I think it was the worst possible 'innovation' that ever came out of the minds of the R&D folks. :P I'm a 'mouse man' myself - always have been; always will be. Don't like, and wont use, a trackball either.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I've disabled it in the BIOS but I think there is a separate program as well which turns it off whenever you use the keyboard. BIOS is my way, though, 'cos I much prefer the little knob in the middle of the keyboard (when do they start making keyboards for desktops like that).

HTH
        Hmm, I have yet to figure out how to access my ThinkPad BIOS. It is a new model, less than a month old.

Comment

Watch the screen during the initial power on phase. Almost always, there is a message (at the bottom or top of the screen) that tells you what key(s) to press to enter setup (BIOS). On some, it's the Esc key, others the F1. The message may not be displayed for very long, but it will be there.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Does it have a special blue IBM button? I think that was teh BIOS button in the past... also, sometimes, by the time you see the message pop up you are already too late... so just remember and try again.

BTW, the IBM nub is the greatest thing ever created by man EVER! If you have ever really gotten used to it (more than just trying a friend's for 10 minutes) you will forever need one... IBM really did get that right, when compared to a trackpad. I still opt for a mouse when in the office, but my wife doesn't even bother when given the choice.

Comment

Yep, the blue IBM button is the one for the BIOS or an alternative boot device.

And I see that this community is about to split over this all important nub issue. As so eloquently put by kjjjshab
              the IBM nub is the greatest thing ever created by man EVER!
              Hehe - so, have you seen a desktop keyboard with one? I'll order a dozen.
              Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

...Hehe - so, have you seen a desktop keyboard with one? I'll order a dozen.
                http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...GR-4WKSWX.html

Unfortunately, this is their crappy desktop keyboard... I am certain that in the past they made a replica of their notebook keyboard as a stand-alone... perhaps some more searching will find that one.

Comment

Sorry changturkey, I tend to get off topic, please forgive - have you managed to change your BIOS or found the program on kde-apps.org?

@ kjjjshab
                  That is great - but cheapest I've seen for part # 24P0357 (UK keyboard) is £84.83 That dozen would have me sleep under a bridge...

Thanks a ton though, I'll be checking whether other languages can be had at a more reasonable price.

Comment

Sorry changturkey, I tend to get off topic, please forgive...
                    When discussing ThinkPads there is only one topic... nub or no nub.

Comment

Well I have an IBM and only us the nub!!!
                      The track pad is only good when the laptop is not on my lap, and when it is on my lap my belly gets in the way and I can not get to it. So I am a nub guy. The real question is what kind of nub you like. I like the red cup, over the fuzzy dome or the rubber dome.

I know you can mess with this in the xorg.conf but the last guy I know who did this crashed his machine. So you could be stuck with it on. I also don't ever remember seeing it in a IBM bios.

You could open the laptop case and unplug it.

Noel Vh
                      ++Noel Vh++<br />Desktop support Lv II, III<br />Large Pharma company<br />New Jersey USA

Comment

I also don't ever remember seeing it in a IBM bios.
                        If you mean the nub you're quite right. But the trackpad you can disable

Comment

I will look tonight on my T43 and see form my self.

Thanks

Noel Vh
                          ++Noel Vh++<br />Desktop support Lv II, III<br />Large Pharma company<br />New Jersey USA

Comment

To access the BIOS - blue start button - F1 - Config - Keyboard/Mouse. You can now disable the TouchPad. As for the program: try this http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php...?content=61442

HTH

Comment

http://lenovoblogs.com/designmatters/?p=438
                              (Nothing new.)

Comment

Working...
                              X