This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommend a printer?

I guess I am looking for a laser printer. But, if you can recommend an ink jet, that would be fine, too.

I'm mostly looking at lasers because there would be a lot of print outs.

The printer would be used for two computers. Would I need a network printer? Would that make it easier (to have a network or wireless printer)? That might be a dumb question but I thought it might be easier to configure.

I'm considering:
    Brother HL2140, HL-2170W (wireless network)

Lexmark E120n

Samsung ML-2851ND (network) , ML-2240 or ML-2510 (no network built-in for either)

I'm unsure of which one but the network printers are more expensive. I thought it might be easier to use for networking but I'd like a recommendation if possible. I have gone to the OpenPrinting website but all of those printers can be configured in Linux to various levels of compatibility. Some need special/manufacturer drivers (especially Brother).

I haven't looked at HP because they're usually more expensive and don't have any network (built-in) printers in my price range.

Thanks for any recommendations and advice.

Re: Recommend a printer?

I am fond of HP because of their linux support out of the box. I am currently using a HP C4280 PhotoSmart All-in-one which was immediately recognized and installed out of the box ny Hplip. No setup was required for the printer or scanner. It works perfectly over the network. It's a USB printer.

I also have an old HL-1240 Brother laser which is my main workhorse. I've had it for five years. No problems getting it setup, both local and network. It's a parallel port printer. The ink cartridge has only been changed three times. Extremely cheap to operate.

When considering inkjet printers I think the main thing to watch for is the costs of replacement ink cartridges. Some of them can be expensive.

Comment

HP seems like the brand to get if it's an ink jet. I keep reading of Linux users being pleased with the photosmart printers and that they're well supported. I was wondering why HP lasers aren't or don't seem to be. The more recent ones, anyway.

I would like to know which lasers are recommended, though.

If I go with an inkjet, I'll probably choose HP. Not sure about a laser, however.

Comment

For a workhorse printer look at the Brother models with DN on the end of the model number.
        D for Duplex, N for wired Network. Duplex allows you to save paper by double sided printing.

Brother uses separate Toner and Drum assemblies which are replace about 3 toner to 1 drum ratio. $$ saving.
        The "add printer" wizard found my Brother MFC-8820DN Networked printer. A few clicks and I was printing. The downside on a MFC is the Networked Scanner is not easy to get working in Linux.

Comment

Have a look at this thread http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...8214#msg158214 - posts #3 and #4 are pertinent for you.
          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Working...
          X