This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Do I Disable "Enable Desktop Effects"

I thought I'd see if Desktop Effects would work on my computer, so I clicked the box to "Enable Desktop Effects" in the System Settings|Desktop menu. Now, I just have a white screen. I'm perfectly comfortable using the command line and a rescue CD to fix this. But I have no idea what file contains the setting that enables and disables Desktop effects. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: How Do I Disable "Enable Desktop Effects"

turn on the computer boot it as normal when u get to the white screen hit alt+ctrl+1 (bring up tty0) log in there and try
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/kdm restart
    will reset ur Xserver settings might also force kde to relook for compisite support from ur v.card
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Thanks, Sithlord. With your answer, I can now fix Kubuntu without a rescue CD--which makes it easier. Unfortunately, your answer did not fix my problem. I suppose I should have expressed myself better. I checked "enable desktop effects" in System Settings/Desktop Menu. I need to know the command line way to disable this.

Comment

you answer my be in another thread.
        Originally posted by dibl
        If you want the "factory default", go into your /home/geek folder and rename the hidden .kde folder to .kde_bak and then restart the X server with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, and when you log in, it should be just like new.
        it comes form here http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3099568.0

now if you only have the cli interface working go back to tty0
        Code:
        mv ~/.kde ~/kde_bak
        this will move your .kde directory (where kde saves all its settings) to a new folder called "kde_bak" (it will no longer be hidden) and give u default everything , i am sure more then you want but it should fix ur issue
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Cool!! I had thought about just deleting the .kde folder and seeing what happened. From your answer, I gather it should work just fine.

Comment

You can also (instead of renaming/removing the whole .kde) edit ~./kde/share/config/kwinrc, and under [Compositing] change the 'Enabled' entry to false.

One liner:
            Code:
            kwriteconfig --group Compositing --key Enabled --file kwinrc false

Comment

Fantastic, thankyou.
              My daughter did the same thing on her old Toshiba TE2100, and I had to set up another account for her to use temporarily.
              She is the admin, and I had to add a user from a terminal session.
              This worked perfect so now i can go back to playing with my fedora and opensuse vms.
              Just thought I should take a bit of a longer look at the other flavours.
              You don't need a license to drive a sandwich.

Comment

Working...
              X