X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD and music CD not working

Hello.
    I installed Kubuntu 8.10 a couple of days ago. No I wonder how to play music CDs and DVDs. I installed the libdvdread3 package but with no results. Nothing shows up when I insert a music CD (and I thought that at least music CDs should work out of the box) and if I go to /media/cdrom then there's nothing there. The same happens with DVDs.
    Hope anyone can help

dagH

Re: DVD and music CD not working

Just play it, there is no mounting for music CDs. Open Amarok and off you go. To play commercial dvds you need libdvdcss2.
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

i had to change my cd drive in the amarok settings
      in amarok you can find it under settings->config amarok->engines->default device(Default device is /dev/cdrom)

try changing that to /dev/scd0 or /dev/scd1 (depending on how many drives you have)

as for dvd's
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install vlc
      vlc plays all my dvds just fine (as well as almost ne other video/music file i throw @ it)
      then run vlc and open the device w/ the disk in it

hope this helps
      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Ah, so the music CDs doesn't get mounted. It worked fine now, when playing in amarok.

About the DVDs: I'm almost embarrassed to tell you. My drive isn't a DVD drive, only CD. I hadn't used my eyes correctly I guess. But well it is a used computed that I bought and I didn't worry so much about the specs, but I'm still embarrassed... :P

Comment

You can change the CD-Rom to a DVD-Rom without much difficulty. It should not be very expensive to buy a DVD-Rom. Then it is only 4 screws and 2 plugs to change...
          "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
          "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

My drive isn't a DVD drive, only CD.
            That is the kind of thing that happens to me and now there is two of us. You made my day
            Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Hello

Can't play commercial dvd's and can't find libdvdcss2, even with apt-get command. Have tried Mplayer, kaffeine, and vlc. What now?

Thanks ahead of time

Comment

HOWTO: Add the Medibuntu Repository and GPG Key
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

That was quick. Thanks.

Used konsole, got this output:
                  Code:
                  W: GPG error: [url]http://packages.medibuntu.org[/url] intrepid Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 2EBC26B60C5A2783
                  W: Failed to fetch cdrom:[Kubuntu 8.10 _Intrepid Ibex_ - Release i386 (20081029.1)]/dists/intrepid/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

W: Failed to fetch cdrom:[Kubuntu 8.10 _Intrepid Ibex_ - Release i386 (20081029.1)]/dists/intrepid/restricted/binary-i386/Packages.gz Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
                  Still can't play dvd's.

Comment

You still have the cdrom repository marked as active. You need to fix this or you aren't going to be getting package updates from the Internet correctly. That's what the following warning in your post means:
                    W: Failed to fetch cdrom:[Kubuntu 8.10 _Intrepid Ibex_ - Release i386 (20081029.1)]/dists/intrepid/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

W: Failed to fetch cdrom:[Kubuntu 8.10 _Intrepid Ibex_ - Release i386 (20081029.1)]/dists/intrepid/restricted/binary-i386/Packages.gz Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
                    To fix this open Adept Manager (K Menu > Applications > System > Package Manager). Click on Sources > Edit Software Sources > Third-Party Software and uncheck the cdrom entry. Then click on Fetch current package lists to update your package cache.

As to the GPG error warning. That just means the medibuntu site is temporarily unavailable (it happens). Just retry again later until it takes (you'll know when it does).

Comment

Thanks again.

Got everything installed via bash. Fetched new lists. Still don't see libdvdcss2.

Comment

It's a medibuntu package. When you get the medibuntu repository and GPG key added (without warning errors), then do another:
                        Code:
                        sudo apt-get update
                        Then, while still in the console, just type:
                        Code:
                        sudo apt-get install libdvdcss2

Comment

That did it. Thanks for your help!!

Comment

You're welcome. Happy to have been of assistance.

Comment

istall from add remove programs kubuntu restricted programs package after that goto terminal and type
                              sudo /usr/share/doc/kaffeine/install-css.sh
                              it will ask for your pasword type in and you will be ok.
                              this will help you watch encripted DVD.

P.S you need to make sure you have Keffeine player installed .

Comment

Working...
                              X