X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video Playback (DVD, AVI, etc.) Cause Crash in Video

Greetings,

Symptoms: Any video that is watched on my new Intrepid system ends up dumping to a black screen after a few seconds. I have watched the trailers with VLC on a DVD with no problem, but selected to play the main menu and got the crash. Any AVI's played with Xine begin playing and after about 2-5 seconds they do the same thing. Sound still plays. Most of the time the crash just shows a backlit black screen. Other times, the screen blinks continuously from black backlit to off. All necessary codecs (w32codecs) are installed as well as libdvdcss.

This is a brand new 8.10 install. My video card is onboard and the chipset is Intel 855GME using i855. I had no problems running video under 7.10. I have tried to switch my desktop mode from OpenGL to xRender, which was suggested in another forum. No luck there.

Thanks for help in advance,

Brian

Re: Video Playback (DVD, AVI, etc.) Cause Crash in Video

Here the solution, with the VLC, was to change video output from OpenGL to XVideo:

VLC: Pressing Ctrl - P > Video (General Video Settings).
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Did you ever find a solution to this? I am having the same problem. If you load xine-ui from the programs menu dvd playback is scrambled. If you type xine dvd:// from a command line the dvd plays correctly, but once I hit the stop button it crashes the X server and I get a black screen. I can then hit ctrl-alt-delete to restart. Any ideas? It won't matter soon I guess because Jaunty will be out in a little bit.

Comment

Hi,

I use the same Kubuntu 8.10 version. After standard installation I did those steps:

1. Open KMenu =>Add/Remove Software Adept Installer.
        2. Give in your password.
        3. I did first install Synaptic Package Manager.

After install I did Open Synaptic Package Manager: Kmenu =>Programmes => System =>Start here Synaptic

1. Search for VLC and install it!
        2. Search for libdvdcss2 "Kubuntu restricted extras" and install it!
        3. Search for CSS (choose multimedia tab and choose ==> gxine) and install it.

Then I did open the Bash Konsole and did do the following commands:

sudo apt-get install libdvdread3 gstreamer0.10-plugins -ugly
        sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread3/install-css.sh

With that everything works fine here at mine system. Maybe you can try it? I don't know if the last things I did do with the Bash Konsole is required I did had it also from a ubuntu forum

Hopes I could help you

Greetz
        The diamond can not be polished without friction, <br /> nor a man perfected without trials.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, but it's not VLC I'm having a problem with. I have VLC installed and it works perfectly. It's xine-ui that I'm having trouble with. It's not a huge deal since like I said Jaunty will be out soon anyway and hopefully the problem is fixed. I also have Mplayer and DragonPlayer installed and they both work perfectly. DragonPlayer is xine based, yet it works. That's the part that had me scratching my head the most. Oh well.

Comment

Working...
          X