Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Support for ATI Radeon 3100? (780v chipset)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Support for ATI Radeon 3100? (780v chipset)

My Toshiba Satellite U405D-S2852 sports a decidedly underpowered display device, which I've seen called simply "Radeon 3100" but I strongly suspect is actually the Mobile HD 3100 integrated graphics device, based on the AMD 780v chipset.

I tried installing the "proprietary ATI" drivers offered to me right after I got Kubuntu 8.10 installed, the ones you can get by going to Kmenu->System->Hardware Drivers applet. They kinda sorta work, but not really. 2D performance is better. 3D is there, as is the Catalyst Control Center, but 3D video is flickery. I haven't had this problem using the ATI proprietary drivers on another machine, which runs Kubuntu 8.04.1 & has a Radeon X1650 card.

Is there another set of drivers I can use, or some other way to get rid of this flickering problem? The flickering is constant in any window running a 3D app, and makes said 3D apps pretty much unusable.

I've tested this so far with both Neverputt and Neverball from the Intrepid Ibex repository.

Also: Urban Terror 4.1 is totally unplayable. Starting from a fresh install, I get a garbled screen, almost as if it were trying to use a display mode the hardware can't support. Since it's a notebook, I'm stuck with the 1280x800 display mode. Is there something I should tweak in the Catalyst Control Center? I suspect UT is trying to use some sort of 4:3 aspect ratio display mode, which may be from where the problem stems.

Re: Support for ATI Radeon 3100? (780v chipset)

I am having the same problem.

Comment

Still no fix for this. Unless Kubuntu 9.04 works better.

It's likely the primary user of the Satellite will never know the difference. Email and web surfing is about as fancy as it gets.

Comment

Yeah, the proprietary drivers in repos are old (8.6?). You should download version 9.3 from ATI's website and follow the ubuntu wiki (http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu..._Ubuntu_way.22). I use the manual way in installing the latest drivers from ATI, and it has been smooth so far. Been enjoying flicker-free video for over two months. Too bad ATI dropped support for a whole host of cards (1.5< years old) with their release of 9.4, coincidentally the only ATI proprietary drivers that can be used in Jaunty.

Comment

Ouch. I hope Nvidia doesn't roll that way. As far as I know, even their latest GeForce drivers will work with pretty much any Nvidia card made in the last 5 years.

But then, that's in Windows. Not sure about Linux.

I haven't got 9.04 installed to my newest PC yet, because I can't find out how to put it on my RAID.

Comment

Working...
          X