This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KWin glitches with NVidia video card and desktop effects

I just installed Kubuntu Intrepid Ibex today, replacing my Gentoo installation.

I thought I might as well enable desktop effects on my GeForce 6800 Ultra. I've got the 177 version NVidia binary driver installed.

I get a lot of glitches like in the attached picture. You can see that the tray icons do not show what they should (klipper, knetworkmanager and hpijs toolbox) but they are just holes in the panel through which you can see the color of the desktop.

This also happens occiasonally for items on the taskbar(from running programs).

Is this a known problem, is there any fix for it?
    Attached Files

Re: KWin glitches with NVidia video card and desktop effects

I was having noise, scrambled display starting Firefox, Open Office, Thunderbird mail with Hardy KDE 4.1.2 . Solved by turning off desktop effects. Other posts on nvidia troubles on the forums, should be fixed soon? I don't use desktop effects, a beautiful display without.
    AMD 64, nvidia geforce 256 meg, 7300GT with 177 driver from the hardware menu.
    One question, can I use 4 gig ram with 32 bit KDE? 8)

Comment

Re: KWin glitches with NVidia video card and desktop effects

I cant enable enhanced graphics, If I do I get a black screen & 100% cpu & it renders my laptop useless.

Cary
      The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 7859, registered Linux user 470405 Lenovo T510 Kubuntu Trusty 64bit, Intel Core i5-560M, 8 GB PC3-DDR3 SDRAM - 1067 MHz, NVIDIA NVS 3100m PCI Express, Wireless Centrino N 6300 My website http://www.qah.org.au

Comment

Working...
      X