X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dpkg wants to remove ked-core

Greetings,
    I'm still using Hardy as I'm still hanging on to KDE3.5 for as long as possible. Yesterday "Adept Updater" indicated there was some updates so I opened it up to see what was needed.
    dpkg was at the top of the list but part of that upgrade was to remove kde-core and kdebase (amongst other things). Now I'm no guru when it comes to these things, but if I allow these to be removed, won't it kill my GUI??
    As mentioned previously, I'm hanging on to KDE3.5 for as long as I can as I will not be moving to KDE4. I'm playing with other window managers to see what suits but I'm not ready to pull the plug on my current desktop just yet.
    Advice appreciated.

Re: dpkg wants to remove ked-core

Open a console and type:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade --simulate
    Post in your reply what is listed as to be upgraded, installed, and removed (if any). Feel free to post the output so we can review.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Reading package lists... Done
      Building dependency tree
      Reading state information... Done
      Calculating upgrade... Done
      The following packages will be REMOVED:
      kde-core kdebase kmplayer-konq-plugins konq-plugins konqueror konqueror-nsplugins kubuntu-desktop smb4k strigi-applet
      The following NEW packages will be installed:
      libgdal1-1.8.0
      The following packages will be upgraded:
      dpkg dpkg-dev gdal-bin
      3 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 9 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
      Remv kde-core [5:47]
      Remv kdebase [4:3.5.10-0ubuntu1~hardy2]
      Remv kmplayer-konq-plugins [1:0.10.0c-0ubuntu3]
      Remv kubuntu-desktop [1.75]
      Remv konq-plugins [4:3.5.10-0ubuntu1~hardy1]
      Remv smb4k [0.9.3-0ubuntu1]
      Remv strigi-applet [0.5.7-1ubuntu2]
      Remv konqueror [4:3.5.10-0ubuntu1~hardy2] [konqueror-nsplugins ]
      Remv konqueror-nsplugins [4:3.5.10-0ubuntu1~hardy2]
      Inst dpkg [1.14.16.6ubuntu4.2] (1.15.4ubuntu2~launchpad1~bigjools1 ubuntugis-unstable:8.04/hardy)
      Conf dpkg (1.15.4ubuntu2~launchpad1~bigjools1 ubuntugis-unstable:8.04/hardy)
      Inst dpkg-dev [1.14.16.6ubuntu4.2] (1.15.4ubuntu2~launchpad1~bigjools1 ubuntugis-unstable:8.04/hardy)
      Inst libgdal1-1.8.0 (1.8.0-2~hardy3 ubuntugis-unstable:8.04/hardy)
      Inst gdal-bin [1.7.3-2~hardy2] (1.8.0-2~hardy3 ubuntugis-unstable:8.04/hardy)
      Conf dpkg-dev (1.15.4ubuntu2~launchpad1~bigjools1 ubuntugis-unstable:8.04/hardy)
      Conf libgdal1-1.8.0 (1.8.0-2~hardy3 ubuntugis-unstable:8.04/hardy)
      Conf gdal-bin (1.8.0-2~hardy3 ubuntugis-unstable:8.04/hardy)

Comment

Hate to reply to my own post but :-X

Purusing through that output, I noticed the "ubuntugis" PPA. For life of me I can't remember why I had that in my repositories; possibly when I was messing around with an early Xastir binary.

Given I compile that app from source now, I removed the ubuntugis from my sources and bingo; no updates.
        Thanks for the prod.

Benny

Comment

I would hold off on running a dist-upgrade at this time; at the least, wait for other opinions on this. Doing nothing keeps your system 'as is', which I'm assuming, is fully functional, and is desireable over an unknown.

May I ask why you are reluctant to make the move up to Natty (11.04) and Plasma KDE 4.6.3? I started my journey into Linux (Kubuntu) with Edgy Eft back in 2007. I'm now running as my main OS, Kubuntu Natty Narwhal 11.04, KDE 4.6.3. Natty is extremely satisfying here.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
            I would hold off on running a dist-upgrade at this time; at the least, wait for other opinions on this. Doing nothing keeps your system 'as is', which I'm assuming, is fully functional, and is desireable over an unknown.

May I ask why you are reluctant to make the move up to Natty (11.04) and Plasma KDE 4.6.3? I started my journey into Linux (Kubuntu) with Edgy Eft back in 2007. I'm now running as my main OS, Kubuntu Natty Narwhal 11.04, KDE 4.6.3. Natty is extremely satisfying here.
            I have no intention of upgrading at the moment; I'm happy with what I have.
            I'm not upgrading because of KDE4.
            After all the kufuffle with MS Vista being too different from XP (same goes for the last version of Word apparently), I can't believe the KDE community didn't learn from this. I don't have time to ferret around looking for things or trying to debug (which I'm not that good at). My laptop is a "means to an end"; it is not "the end". I need stability and "sameness"; a couple of the reasons I made the switch to Linux.
            When I did try KDE4 a few years back, it was horrible. Granted it was the early version forced on us by the developers but I was extremely disappointed at how buggy it was. I was gob smacked that anyone with a modicum of decency would inflict such a terrible experience on anyone. How can I trust them again??
            As I said, I'm "kicking tyres" with other window managers at the moment. If I have to learn something new, I may as well move to something else; Xfce is looking the goods at the moment but I've yet to try Gnome3 (just received it on the LXF cover disc).
            I do forgive; but I never forget!!!

Comment

I understand. But, how about downloading and burning a LiveCD .iso of Natty 11.04 and giving it a try? You risk nothing execpt time and a CD. You might be suprised.

The early release of KDE 4 was a disaster; there is no debating that. But, it has improve by leaps and bounds since then.

Comment

Working...
              X