Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any chance of Firefox 4 coming to Kubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any chance of Firefox 4 coming to Kubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04?

So has anyone tried doing it yourself yet?

I found this PPA. For now I'm sticking with 3.6.16+build1+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.8.04.1 and waiting to see if FF4 shows up in updates.

Welcome newbies!
    Verify the ISO
    Kubuntu's documentation

Re: Any chance of Firefox 4 coming to Kubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04?

Got Firefox 3.6.17 in the updates today. Maybe 4 won't be coming
    Welcome newbies!
    Verify the ISO
    Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

My guess is that it won't.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I downloaded FF 4 and tried it. There are a LOT of add-ons and plugins that do NOT work... flashget, downloadhelper, Wolfram toolbar, etc. I removed it and reverted to the latest FF 3.6.x
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
          My guess is that it won't.
          You're probably right. I'm just too reluctant to upgrade my every day system

@GG, I find I'm happier to use as few add-ons as possible. I've had nothing but Noscript for years now, unless you count plug-ins (Flash, Java, and mozilla-mplayer).

I would like to find an extension to enhance bookmark management though. I'd really like to be able to do weird things with bookmark tags, which Firefox doesn't currently support:
          • tag aliases so that inputting one tag automatically implies the others aliased to it: c64 = commodore 64, regex = regular expression
          • search bookmarks by tags with exclusions (google style tag searching): +computer +programming +scripting -vbscript
          • list all tags currently existing in the database
          • replace tags selectively: tips -> help, misspelled tag -> corrected spelling

Stuff like that

Sometime soon I'll probably just upgrade to the latest Kubuntu. I've just been with Hardy for so long now, and it still works pretty well.

I remember having all kinds of weird problems with other releases. Feisty was okay after some settling in, but Gutsy was a non-starter for me. Then came Hardy, where I am now. After that was the unmitigated disaster of Intrepid. Jaunty was okay on some machines, but not on others. I only installed Karmic on a VM; what a resource hog!

Hardy has just been too comfortable for me. I've been staying here because it would be harder to move and face potential disaster with all the uncertainties of KDE4. But I've had Jaunty with KDE4 on a newer machine for many months now, and it has been running perfectly. So I guess it really is about time for me to make a move.

I have to admit though, that I'm more than a little curious how many others are sticking with Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy for the same reasons I have. Because it is a solid and reliable release, and has been relatively trouble free all this time. Sure the repos are getting awfully stale, but there are work-arounds for that.

Anyway, that's enough blather from me on this :P
          Welcome newbies!
          Verify the ISO
          Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Originally posted by Telengard
            You're probably right. I'm just too reluctant to upgrade my every day system
            Unless you have an actual need to do so, why do it? If 8.04 is still working for you, and it does all that you want/need, stick with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
              Unless you have an actual need to do so, why do it? If 8.04 is still working for you, and it does all that you want/need, stick with it.
              I've got some reasons.
              • Kopete won't work with Yahoo or Jabber at all.
              • I won't be getting Firefox 4 from the repos.
              • I can't compile recent versions of many programs because versions of dependencies in the Hardy repos are way outdated.
              • I can't relate to or understand most of the help requests in KFN anymore, because they're all for KDE 4.
              • Upgrading parts of the system by hand is time consuming and error prone.
              • Recent versions of K/Ubuntu have desirable security features
              • Many other related annoyances.

Welcome newbies!
              Verify the ISO
              Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

I'd say then, "bite the bullet" and do a fresh installation - don't try the laborious (if done correctly) version upgrade route. Besides, KDE4/Plasma (now 4.6.2, soon to be 4.6.3) is a very different animal from KDE3.

Comment

Hardy has just been too comfortable for me. I've been staying here because it would be harder to move and face potential disaster with all the uncertainties of KDE4. But I've had Jaunty with KDE4 on a newer machine for many months now, and it has been running perfectly. So I guess it really is about time for me to make a move.
                  Hardy 8.04 will cease to be supported in 11 days time, on 12th May. Jaunty ceased to be supported last October. I would say updating to at least Lucid 10.04 which is an LTS release, is something you have to do now. If you have two PCs why not put 10.04 on one and 11.04 on the other? Most people seem to be saying that Kubuntu 11.04 is very stable and crashes are few unlike its Gnome counterpart. With a minor update of KDE due out in a few days time I think now is a very good time to update at least one of your PCs to the latest version.

Comment

Telengard, I'm still on 8.04, exclusively (although, like you, I also have two good PC's sitting here). My experience is the same as yours: bad luck with newer versions; absolutely flawless track record with 8.04, super comfortable. Dreading upgrading (I suppose that would be to a 10.04 fresh install) and adjusting it to my needs. (I didn't know 8.04 was done in 11 days?)
                    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by PaulW2U
                      I would say updating to at least Lucid 10.04 which is an LTS release, is something you have to do now.
                      Since when does Kubuntu have LTS releases?

Originally posted by Qqmike
                      My experience is the same as yours: bad luck with newer versions; absolutely flawless track record with 8.04, super comfortable. Dreading upgrading
                      Yeah, that's what its like. I found a release of Kubuntu that worked well from day one and hasn't had any major breakdowns since.

I just know as soon as I install 10.04 it will flake out and die within a week.
                      :P
                      Welcome newbies!
                      Verify the ISO
                      Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Since when does Kubuntu have LTS releases?
                        This page - http://releases.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/10.04.2/ says Kubuntu 10.04 was an LTS release however I've now found out that 8.04 wasn't unlike Ubuntu 8.04.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulW2U
                          I've now found out that 8.04 wasn't unlike Ubuntu 8.04.
                          http://www.kubuntu.org/news/by-tag/kubuntu-lts-releases

8.04 is listed among the LTS releases, but Canonical didn't want to continue supporting the KDE 3 desktop for the entire duration of an LTS lifespan. KDE 4 wasn't ready when 8.10 was released, but the Kubuntu team included it anyway. Many of us had serious issues with 8.10, myself included. It was by far the worst Kubuntu release yet for me.

It is good to see we have a new LTS though.
                          Welcome newbies!
                          Verify the ISO
                          Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Telengard@

Burn a Kubuntu 11.04 LiveCD and give it a try. You just might be pleasantly surprised. For me, and many others, 11.04 has been one of the best Kubuntu's so far. But, as always, YMMV.

Comment

Working...
                            X