This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No more java on 8.04?

In recent days I've found more and more web pages which won't display. It seems to be a problem with not having java installed, but of course that's been installed for years now. Since I didn't have a problem a week ago and I've done nothing on my end (other than apply updates) I can only assume that 8.04 is finally dead, or at least unable to run java any more. Is that correct?

Re: No more java on 8.04?

As I'm trying to solve this problem, I see that it is much more widespread. Chrome complains about libcflashplayer crashing. Konqueror crashes the way it always has, but I'm used to that though - it's still the best viewer I know. Anyway, here is where I'm at:

Code:
    $ java -version
    java version "1.5.0"
    gij (GNU libgcj) version 4.2.4 (Ubuntu 4.2.4-1ubuntu3)
    I found an esoteric command in an obscure post:

Code:
    $ sudo update-alternatives --config java
    [sudo] password for ole:

There are 5 alternatives which provide `java'.

Selection  Alternative
    -----------------------------------------------
         1  /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun/jre/bin/java
         2  /usr/bin/gij-4.2
         3  /usr/bin/gij-4.1
    *+    4  /usr/lib/jvm/java-gcj/jre/bin/java
         5  /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/bin/java

Press enter to keep the default[*], or type selection number:
    I suppose (hope) that I can just as easily change it back, so I'll try another default and see if that is relevant to my situation.

Comment

It would appear that that did the trick with Firefox. That together with restarting it - which is always an ordeal. However, Chrome still claims that /opt/google/chrome/libgcflashplayer.so crashed. Since this system has been very stable for a very long time now, and Chrome is the only new kid on the block, I have a feeling that this is where the trouble starts. How to fix that I have no idea. Perhaps I'll just wait until Chrome is ready for the desktop.

As for Konqueror, I just checked it with a java site, and it's fine now too. It still comes up with a Kde Crash Handler screen reporting an unknown "nspluginviewer", but it just goes on anyway. That's what it's always done and it's not a problem for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Ole Juul

Perhaps I'll just wait until Chrome is ready for the desktop.

I've been a happy chromium-browser user for a year now -- what's not ready?

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
          I've been a happy chromium-browser user for a year now -- what's not ready?
          I was being a bit playful of course, but it hasn't worked well for me so far. A month ago it was eating all my memory and had to be reloaded every few days. It still seems to do that but not as fast. Now it says that libgcflashplayer.so crashes. I'm not sure what the fix is, since that file came in with Chrome, but last weeks version didn't do that.

Anyway, I'm quite aware how software runs differently on different hardware and in different environments. In this case I wasn't so lucky I guess. Note that I'm running 8.04 which could make a difference in our experience.

PS: Thanks for checking in on my (monologue) thread. And seasons greetings!

Comment

PS: Thanks for checking in on my (monologue) thread. And seasons greetings!
            It's always enlightening to check your posts, Ole -- you and I run pretty close to opposite Linux setups, and it's informative to check out how the other half is doing. Mine is new hardware and the latest version of OS and software that I can (semi-safely) run. I looked at your community web site the other day, and was impressed. Happy Holidays to you too!

p.s. Firefox, which I used for several years, was tending to suck up more and more CPU resources than I thought justified, and regularly experienced a nspluginviewer crash, which led me to try chromium-browser, which as been an excellent experience.

Comment

In recent days I've found more and more web pages which won't display. It seems to be a problem with not having java installed, but of course that's been installed for years now. Since I didn't have a problem a week ago and I've done nothing on my end (other than apply updates) I can only assume that 8.04 is finally dead, or at least unable to run java any more. Is that correct?
              Hello, Man! I love your Coalmont Courier!

I think, that probably there are not java applets everywhere on the net disturbing us, but really a flash plugins stop you (and me too) surfing smoothly. In this case you would better install adblock + flashblock extensions (in case of chromium), or plugins (in case of firefox).

chromium can also disable flash plugins by policy (see its settings/preferences).

ps. By the way, I have Maveric installed on old toshiba with 4G disk and 96M of ram, I am not sure how close I am to your effort in this way, but it seems that you might want to try to upgrade your hw .

Comment

Originally posted by molostoff
                Hello, Man! I love your Coalmont Courier!
                Thank you very much!
                I think, that probably there are not java applets everywhere on the net disturbing us, but really a flash plugins stop you (and me too) surfing smoothly. In this case you would better install adblock + flashblock extensions (in case of chromium), or plugins (in case of firefox).

chromium can also disable flash plugins by policy (see its settings/preferences).
                I use adblok+ in FF, and it varies what I use in the other browsers. I think you might be right about flashblock. I just checked my addons, and see that Flashblock is disabled and it says it is not compatible with FF 3.6.13, which is what I currently have. Thanks for the heads up!

ps. By the way, I have Maveric installed on old toshiba with 4G disk and 96M of ram, I am not sure how close I am to your effort in this way, but it seems that you might want to try to upgrade your hw .
                Are you talking about my 5150? That's an 8088 with 64KB on the board and I added an IBM expansion card to bring the total up to 256KB. Linux might have a hard time on that. My Kubuntu box has an Intel 511 2.8GHz chip on an Intel 915 board with 3GB of ram. That stuff is getting a bit long in the tooth nowadays but I still plan to keep it going for a while. Actually, there is one upgrade which might speed things up and that is a video card. I bought a Radeon 4350 4 months ago, but my computer hasn't been off yet so I haven't had an opportunity to install it. I'm actually looking forward to it. I think the on-board graphics, though very good, is taking up too many CPU cycles.

Maverick with 64MB ram fantastic. I like those old Toshiba laptops, I've got 4 of them. A 486, P1, P2, and P3. I installed Debian with fluxbox on the P2 which also has 64MB. It ran just fine, but the new FF took a very long time to load, was slow, and only barely ran flash. I was impressed that did it though. I found that FF 1.5 ran quite well, but that won't do flash.

Anyway, my worst problem is the Canadian internet which is definitely a museum piece. It's so slow we have to take turns. Sometimes there's a knot in the wire and we have to send someone out to untangle it. Even worse, whenever the wire breaks, all the bits spill out on the ground and never get delivered.

Comment

Are you talking about my 5150? That's an 8088 with 64KB on the board and I added an IBM expansion card to bring the total up to 256KB. Linux might have a hard time on that.
                  Yeah! Really intel inside. But somehow it is still possible to build linux kernel for it (minimal set). Types, strimmers and so on. You will be happy, I suspect!

My Kubuntu box has an Intel 511 2.8GHz chip on an Intel 915 board with 3GB of ram. That stuff is getting a bit long in the tooth nowadays but I still plan to keep it going for a while. Actually, there is one upgrade which might speed things up and that is a video card. I bought a Radeon 4350 4 months ago, but my computer hasn't been off yet so I haven't had an opportunity to install it. I'm actually looking forward to it. I think the on-board graphics, though very good, is taking up too many CPU cycles.
                  Possible solution is to reconfigure your memory, I think. I mean dual-channel tiling config. Its cheaper than sepatare agp. Indeed, I have also unbranded minitower 128M + nvidia 32M and it runs very well (for this sort of hw) against graphics - gnome flying (or running so fast?) inside.

Maverick with 64MB ram fantastic. I like those old Toshiba laptops, I've got 4 of them. A 486, P1, P2, and P3. I installed Debian with fluxbox on the P2 which also has 64MB. It ran just fine, but the new FF took a very long time to load, was slow, and only barely ran flash. I was impressed that did it though. I found that FF 1.5 ran quite well, but that won't do flash.
                  No fantastics, since there is no gui in my case (2M graphics card stalls xubuntu install at X probes), but now it is a good wireless access point, because I have an old and still useful pcmcia wifi card, so it looks more likely an advanced mobile admin console (with an internal UPS/batt, still alive). in addition it runs drupal, apache and postgres, and cacti, but cacti of course is overhead. 490XCDT, there is an scsi connector on backpanel and 16bit stereo. So it is a goot iron and I still plan to use ut.

Anyway, my worst problem is the Canadian internet which is definitely a museum piece. It's so slow we have to take turns. Sometimes there's a knot in the wire and we have to send someone out to untangle it. Even worse, whenever the wire breaks, all the bits spill out on the ground and never get delivered.
                  Our guys somewhere in my country use regular (b,g) wifi with custom antenna to gain about 40km range between hotspots, so you can try it too.

Comment

Working...
                  X