This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AVI file coloured tiling during playback problem

i have several AVI videos (each about 25mins long) that while playing on Kaffeine or VLC video players, the picture is covered with squares/tiles of a purple-ish colour for the most part except when a character/person moves over the part of the screen with the tiles... then, most of the time, it changes those parts to normal but leaves anything else with the weird coloured squares.
    besides that, i've found nothing else wrong with the videos.

info off one of the files:
    video codec- wmv3

i've tried looking for this answer else where with no luck or very outdated info that didn't work (or how to find & fix a leaking tile in my roof).
    & because i know someone will ask as i've seen it too often with other questions... i'm on Kubuntu 8.04. i have posted this same question on another site even though this is a video/file problem & not an OS based problem, i still wanted to post it here where i believe i'll get a more intelligent answer & solution.

does anyone have ideas as to what could be the cause of this video file problem & how to fix it?
    thanks in advance to all helpful replies (:
    Thermaltake Armor chassis<br />Intel Pentium D 960 @ 3.6Ghz<br />4GB DDR2 memory @ PC2-5300<br />6x internal SATA HDD [4.27TB total]<br />1x external 1,000GB HDD via firewire<br />nVidia GeForce 7950 GX2 Extreme<br />52&quot; LCD HDTV | 1920 X 1080p rez<br />Saitek Cyborg keyboard | SilverStone Raven mouse<br />running Kubuntu 10.04

Re: AVI file coloured tiling during playback problem

Just a preliminary question, please don't be offended:
    Have you installed the "non-free codecs" package from the medibuntu repository? If not, do so, and try to watch your vids again.

With that out of the way, your problem seems like a hardware/software issue, i.e. some configuration file, somewhere (e.g. /etc/X11/xorg.conf), has the wrong information. The way that video players work is, that in order to reduce CPU load, they only reload the areas of the screen that are changing, and, in order to save memory, the data is stored in a compressed format wherein only the differences between individual pixels in a particular area are stored. When a character in a video moves, your video memory is refreshed in the areas that have changed but is not refreshed in the areas that haven't. It seems like this process is confused somehow, in that the (compressed) stored data, is not being uncompressed before it is rewritten to the screen.

You might want to try removing and reinstalling your video software (in order to have your configuration files rewritten), but this should be a last resort after checking that your configuration files are accurate.

Comment

Why are you using such a vintage version? With the system in your sig, you could easily run the current 10.04.

For 10.04, you could use the latest vlc-git 1.20 beta which is greatly improved, it e.g. has now support for styled subtitles.
      https://launchpad.net/~falk-t-j/+archive/lucid-latest/

Originally posted by askrieger
      Have you installed the "non-free codecs" package from the medibuntu repository? If not, do so, and try to watch your vids again.
      Medibuntu probably doesn't support such an old version anymore.
      Shinda Sekai Sensen<br /><br />Kubuntu Maverick RC x64 w/ Kde 4.5.2 (main)<br />Kubuntu 10.04 x64 w/ Kde 4.5.1 to be wiped, no point in keeping it any longer

Comment

Hardy is a long-term support release for Ubuntu. I would suspect that it is still supported by medibuntu. Unfortunately, it would take me quite a bit of work to check because (since it is not LTS for Kubuntu), I've upgraded out of it.

Comment

thank you for suggesting that & no offense taken... & no, i hadn't. i just went to install them though (logged out & back in afterward just in case) but no luck. it's strange that it's only 26 AVi files that are having this problem out of the several hundred i have.

With that out of the way, your problem seems like a hardware/software issue, i.e. some configuration file, somewhere (e.g. /etc/X11/xorg.conf), has the wrong information. The way that video players work is, that in order to reduce CPU load, they only reload the areas of the screen that are changing, and, in order to save memory, the data is stored in a compressed format wherein only the differences between individual pixels in a particular area are stored. When a character in a video moves, your video memory is refreshed in the areas that have changed but is not refreshed in the areas that haven't. It seems like this process is confused somehow, in that the (compressed) stored data, is not being uncompressed before it is rewritten to the screen.

You might want to try removing and reinstalling your video software (in order to have your configuration files rewritten), but this should be a last resort after checking that your configuration files are accurate.
          i did think it might be a config file & did do a complete uninstall/reinstall of Kaffeine without any luck though.

Originally posted by Yuri sss
          Why are you using such a vintage version? With the system in your sig, you could easily run the current 10.04.

For 10.04, you could use the latest vlc-git 1.20 beta which is greatly improved, it e.g. has now support for styled subtitles.
          https://launchpad.net/~falk-t-j/+archive/lucid-latest/
          because 8.04 has been working perfectly for me & unless i cant figure out how to do something on Kubuntu or just have a question, i dont come to the Kubuntu forums... so until last night when i came to post my question about the few AVI files that are acting up, last i knew the newest version out was 9.04 & i'd read about all the problems it was having. will i upgrade (or do a fresh install) to 10.04, maybe later, but not right now. thanks though. & if u have any info to help with my original post, that too would be helpful.
          Thermaltake Armor chassis<br />Intel Pentium D 960 @ 3.6Ghz<br />4GB DDR2 memory @ PC2-5300<br />6x internal SATA HDD [4.27TB total]<br />1x external 1,000GB HDD via firewire<br />nVidia GeForce 7950 GX2 Extreme<br />52&quot; LCD HDTV | 1920 X 1080p rez<br />Saitek Cyborg keyboard | SilverStone Raven mouse<br />running Kubuntu 10.04

Comment

If you want to stick with the old version for now, your only option left is to convert the avi files into something you can actually watch. For that you could try avidemu - the version currently avaiable for Lucid is 10.04, but the version for Hardy will probably be a good bit older.

When you install 10.04, it would be better to do a clean install. Trying to upgrade from such an old version could cause problems. I'd also disencourage you from trying to import your old settings into 10.04.
            Also, if you install 10.04 besides your 8.04, you can move to 10.04 step-by-step.

Hardy is a long-term support release for Ubuntu.
            Lts releases are supported until the next Lts comes out - which has happened this spring with 10.04 Lts.

Shinda Sekai Sensen<br /><br />Kubuntu Maverick RC x64 w/ Kde 4.5.2 (main)<br />Kubuntu 10.04 x64 w/ Kde 4.5.1 to be wiped, no point in keeping it any longer

Comment

@Yuri sss: Long Term Support releases are supported for 3 years on the desktop and 5 years for servers. They are released every 2 years (which is probably the source of your confusion).

Personally, I'm not sure exactly what that means in terms of the support of specific packages. I conjecture that packages which are included in both server and desktop versions are supported for 5 years, while packages which are not included on the server edition CD are only supported for 3 years, (in LTS releases).

Comment

Being completely useless, but not being able to resist, "Supported packages are supported until they are no longer supported." And in another vane: "The forecast for this evening is darkness, to be continued until morning, when increasing lightness will once again be the norm."
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I'm glad SOMEBODY understands this stuff!

Comment

Working...
                  X