This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to find Firefox icons

I can't find the icons for Firefox 3.6.8. The ones I am looking for is the ones that com up when I hit Alt-Tab and it gives me a list of open windows. The problem is that when there is less than 29 windows open, it switches to a very large icon and the text gets double spaced and hard to read - not to mention the problem with the change being disorienting. I would like to either delete the icons since they server no practical purpose, or only use the smaller one. However, first I have to find them. Any suggestions?

PS: I have absolutely no experience with icons and might not know one by name when I see it, so I need detailed identification.

Re: How to find Firefox icons

Well now I have a little more experience. I've learnt that the Firefox icons are normally .png files. I've looked in /usr/lib/firefox-3.6.8/icons and found mozicon128.png which is HUGE. I've also looked in /usr/share/app-install/icons and found various .xpm files which is apparently the common icon extension. In fact I've searched the whole box for "*firefox*.png" and "*.xpm".

There is preciously little on the internet about removing or locating icons in Linux Firefox. I've spend over 3 hours now so it is time to cut my losses and just accept this particular usability bug. I regret using that much of my life for this but I do nevertheless admit that the situation is not so bad because it is avoidable by keeping exactly 29 (or more) windows open which is what I usually do anyway. I just thought it would be possible to neaten things up a little and make the menu easier to read on the occasion that there were less than 29. Oh well ...

It is ironic that I started on this because I thought that Firefox was causing my horrendous memory problem and that I would scale down my use of it and start substituting Chromium. (That is why I was concerned about having the menu readable with less entries.) It turns out to be a Chromium problem so I'm back to torturing Firefox anyway.

Comment

sudo updatedb

followed by

locate firefox|grep png|grep usr

spits out reasonably decent info.

HTH
      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Thanks toad. I just tried that, but the output did not include anything useful. I renamed a couple of possible suspects and restarted FF but got no change. Perhaps Firefox has compiled these icons right into the browser.

Comment

Code:
          paul@mybrainonlinux:~$ locate firefox|grep png|grep usr
          /usr/lib/firefox-3.6.8/chrome/icons/default/default16.png
          /usr/lib/firefox-3.6.8/chrome/icons/default/default32.png
          /usr/lib/firefox-3.6.8/chrome/icons/default/default48.png
          /usr/lib/firefox-3.6.8/icons/document.png
          /usr/lib/firefox-3.6.8/icons/mozicon128.png
          /usr/lib/firefox-3.6.8/res/broken-image.png
          /usr/lib/firefox-3.6.8/res/loading-image.png
          /usr/lib/firefox-3.6.8/res/html/folder.png
          /usr/lib/firefox-addons/extensions/{972ce4c6-7e08-4474-a285-3208198ce6fd}/icon.png
          /usr/lib/firefox-addons/extensions/{972ce4c6-7e08-4474-a285-3208198ce6fd}/preview.png
          /usr/share/app-install/icons/firefox-installer.png
          /usr/share/app-install/icons/firefox-ubuntu-it-menu.png
          /usr/share/kubuntu-firefox-installer/style/content_border.png
          /usr/share/kubuntu-firefox-installer/style/label_border.png
          /usr/share/kubuntu-firefox-installer/style/main_frame_border.png
          /usr/share/kubuntu-firefox-installer/style/squares.png
          /usr/share/pixmaps/firefox-installer.png
          /usr/share/pixmaps/firefox.png
          You are on 8.04 (Hardy), and I'm on Lucid (10.04). I'm not sure that is relevant, but ...

Look for the actual image files above, or for similar directories.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks Snowhog. I get the same output on my system so that is at least educational. However, changing the name of some of the files makes no difference. The 16, 32, and 48 ones look the most likely but they're not the ones. Like I said earlier, I have a feeling the icons are compiled in. Or, maybe the big mozicon128.png is scaled on demand?

BTW: what's with the chrome directory under FF I wonder?

Comment

FF Chrome is where you find the shine 8)
              http://lifehacker.com/197715/customi...-userchromecss

Comment

Originally posted by Ole Juul
                The 16, 32, and 48 ones look the most likely but they're not the ones.
                Not the ones? Well, see below:
                Attached Files
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis
                  FF Chrome is where you find the shine 8)
                  http://lifehacker.com/197715/customi...-userchromecss
                  Interesting, but where do I get Chrome? I installed Chromium from a dot deb and AFAIK Chromium doesn't have a userChrome.css file, as per issue 2393. I'd love to have one.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                    Not the ones? Well, see below:
                    They look like that, but they're not the ones. I've tried replacing the 32 and 48 with the 16 and nothing happens. Hit Alt-Tab and you will see the ones I'm talking about.

Comment

Working...
                    X