This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What if I never upgrade?

Hi, I'm running Hardy with KDE3 and it's working great for me. I've tried upgrading several times and nothing has worked out for me. I'm sort of shopping for a new distro (considering Mepis, Xubuntu, LinuxMint, and GNewSense), but not really wanting to leave Hardy (except that my webcam doesn't work in it). I'm wondering what problems I'm would run into down the road if I just stay with Hardy indefinitely? Are the repositories always going to be there? I noticed a while back that Skype wasn't in the Hardy repository anymore, so does that mean other things will leave too? What about security? Or any other problems?

Re: What if I never upgrade?

You can stick with Hardy for as long as it continues to work for you.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Are the repositories always going to be there? ... security
      > Releases:
      Ubuntu releases are supported for 18 months. Ubuntu LTS (Long Term Support) releases are supported for 3 years on the desktop, and 5 years on the server.

Ubuntu Hardy Heron End of life date:
      April 2011 (Desktop)
      April 2013 (Server)

The Kubuntu Hardy Heron is not a LTS > Kubuntu wiki:
      Kubuntu Hardy Heron Supported until: 2009-10
      The packages (Hardy) are there until 2013. The KDE 3.5 packages are not maintained (by the Kubuntu). The security is up to you.

Earlier > Topic: KDE security patch. Fix released for the Intrepid and later.

The KDE 3.5 option > Kubuntu KDE3/Trinity
      Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
      1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
      2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Security?

I'd trust Hardy for the next 5 years before I'd trust Win7 for the next 5 days.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Ok, thanks, I'm thinking I'll keep Hardy around for a few more years since I like it so much, at least on another partition.

What is the benefit of Lucid with KDE3 over Hardy?

Comment

At the moment, Lucid with KDE 3.5 isn't out, but it is going to be available as a Remix. KDE 3.5 isn't being officially supported anymore, at least, not by KDE.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I think this is a great question and one which should be discussed more often. I've been running 8.04 for some time now and don't plan to change either. That is until something important prompts me to do so. It's interesting how much pressure there is out there to do so however. I personally stand up well under those kinds of pressure, but I'm sure that there are those that don't. Are there people out there who update without any real personal reason? I think it is good to know that one does not really need to update all the time. Thanks to above posters for the confirmation!

Comment

The primary reason to upgrade is that eventually (sooner for non-LTS releases than for LTS ones) support ends. There are no more updates for your installed packages. Security holes are not repaired. Bugs (which probably haven't affected you, if you haven't noticed them) are not fixed.

It's your computer, if you can't be bothered to click your mouse a couple of times, a week, and sit there impatiently awaiting a download to finish, that's your privilege.

Comment

Eventually you will find compelling reasons to upgrade. Technology changes and programs get new versions. Eventually one of the programs you depend on will be so old that it is incompatible with the rest of the world. Even if you think you don't need new features of the OS, you will eventually want to do something which requires a newer version of something.

HTML is changing.
                  Javascript is changing.
                  Flash is changing.
                  Java is changing
                  Video codecs are changing.
                  Instant messenger protocols are changing.
                  Word processor and spreadsheet document formats are changing.
                  Internet Protocol addresses are changing.
                  The Domain Name System is changing.
                  LAN protocols are changing.
                  I can't even list all the things that will likely affect you.

I am not pushing you to upgrade now if you are not ready. I still use 8.04 Hardy as my everyday system, but man the repo packages are getting really old. At this point I am getting more eager to upgrade to the new LTS every day just so I can work normally without worrying about seeking out PPAs or compiling from source just to be compatible with the rest of the world.

My parting advice is this. Set up a separate partition and install the latest Kubuntu on it. (Back up all your data to external storage in two separate locations first!) Give it a test drive and see whether or not you and your machine like it. Spend some time getting used to the new Kubuntu because eventually you will want to upgrade.
                  Welcome newbies!
                  Verify the ISO
                  Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
                    The primary reason to upgrade is that eventually (sooner for non-LTS releases than for LTS ones) support ends. There are no more updates for your installed packages. Security holes are not repaired. Bugs (which probably haven't affected you, if you haven't noticed them) are not fixed.
                    Agreed, it eventually shows in the installed packages, some of which become broken or unworkable. I'm not sure about the importance of security holes in many cases though. Servers are another matter, but I have never seen as much as even a vague hint of any security problem on a home computer. YMMV

It's your computer, if you can't be bothered to click your mouse a couple of times, a week, and sit there impatiently awaiting a download to finish, that's your privilege.
                    Whoa, those are strong words. I'm glad to hear that you have that level of skill, and you should be proud of it, but many of us don't. Doing regular upgrades by clicking or apt-get is indeed trivial while one is within one version, but upgrading is a LOT of work for many of us. Most upgrades I've done have resulted in a broken computer for a week. You may be lucky, but fixing things like no audio, endless login loops, no automount, etc, etc, is not easy for an amateur. I tackle those things willingly as a small price to pay for the privilege of using FOSS. Yes, a clean install usually works like a charm, but doing a complete backup and setting up a new machine running some new desktop system is not a small matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Ole Juul
                      Most upgrades I've done have resulted in a broken computer for a week. You may be lucky, but fixing things like no audio, endless login loops, no automount, etc, etc, is not easy for an amateur. I tackle those things willingly as a small price to pay for the privilege of using FOSS. Yes, a clean install usually works like a charm, but doing a complete backup and setting up a new machine running some new desktop system is not a small matter.
                      Upgrades sometimes go wonky. Well worth considering. As Ole said, complete backup and fresh install on a clean HD is the best way to avoid trouble.
                      Welcome newbies!
                      Verify the ISO
                      Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Yes, there are problems when you upgrade. The severity of the problems vary. Personally, I found that the switch from Hardy (with KDE3) to Intrepid (with KDE4.not-ready) was an absolute disaster on one of my computers. Fortunately, I had backed up all my "stuff", (where "stuff" is defined as not only EVERYTHING in /home/<username>, but my entire /etc/* directory tree). I was, therefore able to reinstall Hardy after a week or so of frustration and wasted time with Intrepid. When Jaunty, the first release with a reliable KDE4, came out, I (once again), backed up everything (although /etc/* is very different in KDE4) did a fresh install of Jaunty, reloaded /home/<username> (normally abbreviated as "~/*") and went galloping along. BUT, that's the only time I've had to back out of an upgrade.

Many other people made the switch from KDE3 to KDE4 with minimal difficulty so, I'm forced to conclude that there was something peculiar to that particular computer, that interacted badly with something particular to Kubuntu Intrepid. In most cases, e.g. going from Breezy to Hardy (one release at a time), and Jaunty to Karmic to Lucid, I don't think it's taken more than a day or two to get back up to speed. Obviously, experience helps. I have a file full of tweaks that I normally make when I upgrade, that I revise every time BEFORE I start the upgrade and review after I finish the upgrade. (Okay, add a third day for that activity.)

Comment

For years I'm multi-booting with the latest distro on one of the partitions.
                          That way I can find out what works and in case it doesn' t a working distro is a reboot away.
                          I have the Thunderbird directory on an ext3 partition and linked to the different distributions so whatever I'm booted into I see the same mail.

The same can (easily) be done with most applications and documents.

Comment

I have fond memories of Harty. It was the very first Ubuntu that I installed. Everything worked! I was quite impressed. I'm still impressed by the amount of users still using it and not wanting go any further.

"If it an't broke, don't fix it" or in this case, don't upgrade it.

This topic reminds me of those people that install their favorite Linux and leave it on, never turning it off -ever. Occasional updates, but years and years of uptime.

I must turn my computer on/off a dozen times a day!
                            Boot Info Script

Comment

Originally posted by verndog

This topic reminds me of those people that install their favorite Linux and leave it on, never turning it off -ever. Occasional updates, but years and years of uptime.
                              Yes, they do that .....

They don't pick up a lot of security updates, either. :P

Comment

Working...
                              X