This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corrupt menu display

Can anyone tell me what might be causing this problem.

This happens in at least Pan and Shutter. Where items that are not available on a menu should just be greyed out they've become greyed out and distorted as in the attached image.

I'm not aware of having changed anything or exactly when it started. Both of these programs did work as they should do.

Thanks.
    Attached Files

Re: Corrupt menu display

This is just an observation, not a solution. Both Pan and Shutter are GTK (i.e. Gnome) apps. Are you having problems with other GTK based apps (like Synaptic)? If so, I'd be suspicious of your GTK libraries.

Comment

Thanks for your reply askrieger.

No problem with Synaptic and I'm not too sure which other apps to check that are GTK. Just checked gThumb and that is displaying the same problems.

How would I go about checking if the libraries are at fault or more to the point perhaps, how to rectify the libraries.

Comment

Once again, gthumb is a GTK package. Offhand, I can't explain why Synaptic isn't showing the problem, but I still suspect that the GTK libraries have something to do with the problem. The total brute force approach (which I do not recommend) would be to reinstall all GTK packages. As a less drastic step, are you using qtcurve? If so, stop using it, if not try it. This will change the appearance in KDE of most of your GTK packages.

Comment

I was using Plastik and changed to qtcurve. Tried logging out and even rebooting but it has made no difference. All of the programs work as they should including displaying correctly when an item is not 'greyed out'. I'm all for trying to fix things the easy way but if it comes to it how would I find out which programs are GTK packages?

Double checked Synaptic again and still no problem with it.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by 289Shelby
            Double checked Synaptic again and still no problem with it.
            Are you running synaptic as root?

If so, it uses root's configuration settings (which usually means it uses a different theme, theming engine, colors settings etc. compared to your regular user). So it can be problem with the theme engine you've set for your user (and not for root) or a theme configuration issue for your user.

You can test this by running a program that you have problems with 'as root' (with 'kdesudo gthumb', for example) and check whether it displays the issue.

Comment

Are you running synaptic as root?
              Yes, I always run Synaptic as root.

(with 'kdesudo gthumb', for example)
              I've just tried this and the menus display correctly although the colours are different, the same colours as Synaptic. The odd thing is that I'm not aware of having changed anything and the oddity with the menus is something I've only noticed recently.

I'll have to have a hunt around and see if I can work out what I need to change.

Comment

Working...
              X