X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

adept auto updates

Kubuntu 8.04
    Just received package <language-pack-en 1:8.04+20100117> which is an upgrade which adept sets at "no change". Cannot do anything with this and get "BREAK (upgrade)" if start to, so I abort. Not a great problem except the Desktop taskbar alert icon continues to report 1 update package available and so masks any more available unless I hover over icon. Would be nice to know how to get rid of this available upgrade or another perhaps better solution. Maintenance team should be informed perhaps.
    Cheers
    Ric

Re: adept auto updates

Try running, in a console:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks Snowhog

result was :-
      ric5@debian3:~$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
      [sudo] password for ric5:
      Reading package lists... Done
      Building dependency tree
      Reading state information... Done
      Calculating upgrade... Done
      The following packages have been kept back:
      language-pack-en
      0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
      ric5@debian3:~$

So there was no change all remained same. Remember GUI Adept showed a warning in RED "Break(upgrade)" which I suppose apt-get is also responding to.

So wonder why "kept back", some dependency problem I suppose? But another point, this is an upgrade and normally (always, perhaps) Adept notifier only does updates. So how has an Upgrade crept in?

Cheers
      Riclin

Comment

Hi again, just been studying man page

From man apt-get:-
        upgrade
        upgrade is used to install the newest versions of all packages
        currently installed on the system from the sources enumerated in
        /etc/apt/sources.list. Packages currently installed with new
        versions available are retrieved and upgraded; under no
        circumstances are currently installed packages removed, or packages
        not already installed retrieved and installed. New versions of
        currently installed packages that cannot be upgraded without
        changing the install status of another package will be left at
        their current version. An update must be performed first so that
        apt-get knows that new versions of packages are available.

So I suppose this upgrade should not have been downloaded by adept??

Cheers
        riclin

Comment

I have exactly the same problem on Hardy.
          If I choose to install language-pack-en it says (my system is in Dutch, so maybe the exact terms in English are a bit different):
          dependency: language-pack-en-base >=1:8.04 + 20100117
          but 1:8.04 + 20080415 will be installed.

If I choose to update language-pack-en-base it's going to remove language-pack-en.
          After that it says it's going to do nothing, because language-pack-en is needed.

Newest version of language-pack-en-base is 1:8.04 20090105, installed is 1:8.04 20080415

So I guess the problem is language-pack-en-base can't update to 20100117, but language-pack-en needs that.

Not a big problem, but I've no idea how to solve it.

Comment

I have exactly the same issue on my Hardy machine. Perhaps one or more of the volunteers has something better to do on the weekend.

Comment

There is nothing to be done. When a package is 'held back' it is done so for good reason. That the Notifier continues to show you that an update is available, and it turns out to be the 'held back' package is, well, just how it is. Yes, it's annoying, but it doesn't hurt anything.

Using apt-get dist-upgrade is the preferred method, from the CLI, to perform system updates. Make sure you always perform an apt-get update first. This will ensure that your package cache - which apt-get reads - is up to date.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks. I'll just wait. In a way I'm glad. My internet connection got lost just in the middle of last update, so I thought it had something to do with that. Glad it has nothing to do with that.

Comment

Thanks Snowhog,

I realise my concept of update was wrong, now I realise only the database is updated. So learnt a bit and think I will use apt-get from now as lot more informative and the result text is there to save if desired.

Comment

This specific problem seems to be resolved now

Comment

Well, not completely for me. The two English languagepacks are updated, but in exchange I got four Dutch languagepacks with exactly the same problem. Tomorrow eight French?
                      I guess this will be solved soon too, so I'll just wait.
                      I've quit the updater till next start. Since I restart every morning the warning will be back tomorrow, so I can't forget it, but it doesn't bother me through the day.

Comment

Working...
                      X