X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kword won't show .odt files

Hi all:

Just installed Kword, because OO is a memory hog and I've been reading good things about Koffice. But, when I use the file-open or file-import dialogues, everything but .odt files are listed. Very weird. I'm assuming I'm doing something stupid, because I haven't found anyone else with the problem, after extensive googling.

It's kde 1.6.3 on KDE 3.5.10.

Suggestions?

Re: Kword won't show .odt files

It's been a while since I used Hardy, (and I don't find Oo.o's memory usage to be a problem). That said, what I'd try is to export an odt file in another format and then import it to kword. This would eliminate the possibility that kword is not reading the odt format properly.

Comment

Thanks for this. I tried it with a .rtf file and it went without a hitch, except there was some formatting loss, which was to be expected.

I've done some fiddling, and I noticed that if I type an .odt file name into the dialogue box, Kword will open it, so that's a little easier than changing the file format. Just means I have to find it in Konquerer first. However, if I right-click an .odt file in Konquerer, I don't get the option to open with Kword--just OpenOffice. But if I use Open With and select Kword from the list of applications, it opens just fine.

Originally posted by askrieger
      This would eliminate the possibility that kword is not reading the odt format properly.
      Not sure what you mean by this. Once Kword knows about the file, it reads it properly. It just can't see it in the first place.

PS: I've only got 512MB ram, and OO is a hog for me.

Comment

My comment about Kword possibly misunderstanding your odt file comes from my never having used Kword. Therefore, I have no idea whether or not this WAS (in Hardy) a well-known bug that I just don't know about.

Comment

My comment about Kword possibly misunderstanding your odt file comes from my never having used Kword. Therefore, I have no idea whether or not this WAS (in Hardy) a well-known bug that I just don't know about.
          To be fair to the norotiously buggy Hardy, I don't think it is a well-known bug. At least, I didn't find anything about it by googling.

PS: I notice that Kword didn't get added to the file associations for .odt files. I added it, but still no joy

I think something must have gone wrong in the installation. Sigh!

Comment

I see nothing wrong here. That Kword doesn't 'recognize' a .odt file as one it can work with doesn't mean a bug in Kword. That simply means that the programmers didn't know/think/care to include that file extension as one that Kword can work with.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

@snowhog: The point is that apparently Kword (as delivered in Hardy) actually CAN handle odt files (see reply 2), it just doesn't list it. The problem therefore is to add odt files to the options in Kword (or in Konq). I can't answer that because I've NEVER used Kword. The only thing I can think of is to fool around with preferred applications in System Settings, but, I removed Hardy from my laptop a while ago, so I can't talk the OP through the procedure.

@nodough: Hardy worked VERY well for me. I don't know why you think it was notoriously buggy.

Comment

@snowhog: The point is that apparently Kword (as delivered in Hardy) actually CAN handle odt files (see reply 2), it just doesn't list it.
                Quite correct. And it's got to be something with my system or install, because I can't find another person asking about this.

The only thing I can think of is to fool around with preferred applications in System Settings, but, I removed Hardy from my laptop a while ago, so I can't talk the OP through the procedure.
                That's okay, I'm trying various things myself. Eventually I'll even reboot (yecch!)
                @nodough: Hardy worked VERY well for me. I don't know why you think it was notoriously buggy.
                The bugginess of any system depends on how you use it, of course. And your hardware. I had a lot of problems, and every time I googled one, it was a bug filed on Launchpad. Off the top of my head:
                1. Can't burn a CD
                2. PDFs won't print in landscape
                3. Screen flickers badly after waking from suspend

A lot of bugs got fixed by 8.04.3, but not the three above.

4. When transferring files from my old machine to my new one, all the timestamps changed to the day of transfer. This last one really hurts, as I had files going back to the days of DOS 3.1--which, oddly enough, are seen in Kword's file list, and open perfectly.

I know there were problems with networking, too, but with only 1 computer and dialup, they didn't affect me.

Comment

It's been a long time, but ...
                  1) I don't recall any problems with CD burning in Hardy, although it's not something I do every day.
                  2) I do print PDFs often, so I must have used the right HW/SW combination (an HP laserjet and Acroread).
                  3) I don't think I ever suspended my laptop in Hardy. When it's not in use, I turn it off. That REALLY saves battery power. (I also don't use it very much.)
                  4) The timestamp change is strange. I must admit I don't recall anyone griping about that here.

Comment

Working...
                  X