Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installed GNU Backgammon from source, no game sound -suggestions?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installed GNU Backgammon from source, no game sound -suggestions?

I am running Hardy Heron 8.04 LTS, fully updated. I installed GNU Backgammon from source, using a snapshot and the instructions from their website. This is the first time I have tried installing this way, so im a bit lost.

(Originally I installed the version shown in Adept, but kept getting a segmentation fault - I did have sound while it was working!)

The program runs really well, but I have no game sounds (except for the beep on error). Sound works fine in other apps eg skype, amarok etc.

I have read the no sound FAQ fromthe top 20 FAQ's recommended by Dibbl. I have also tried adjusting settings in kmix and alsamixer. also using "aoss gnubg" command.

In an old post regarding the same problem, I read that this program uses gstreamer for sound. I dont know anything about gstreamer, I tried installing the gstreamer for ALSA plugin I found in Adept. No obvous help.

Could anybody suggest what I might try to get the sound working in this game? or just explain why it doesnt work.

I am using a IBM ThinkPad T42 2373-F1G laptop. (card 0: I82801DBICH4 [Intel 82801DB-ICH4], device 0: Intel ICH [Intel 82801DB-ICH4])

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I love this program!

Re: Installed GNU Backgammon from source, no game sound -suggestions?

I know that this topic was created 6 months ago but I was wondering if you ever found a solution to this problem?

My OS is Kubuntu Karmic and I have the same problem, no sounds in GNU Backgammon which otherwise works perfectly.

I did not compile the source to install though as a package is now available, so I installed it using KPackage Kit, and I installed both gnubg-0.90-3 and gnubg-data-0.90-3, this second package is the one that is supposed to contain the sounds (amongst other things).

If you got it working please tell me how. Many thanks.

PS. My sound in all other apps is working perfectly and it is most definitely not a mixer sound problem, all the levels in mixer are appropriately set.

Comment

Re: Installed GNU Backgammon from source, no game sound -suggestions?

Yes this is an old thread.

Unfortunately I did not ever manage to fix the problem.

I recently installed Lucid, and tried the package manager's version of GNUBg that you mention. Also no sound, same problem when I tried it in Hardy but even worse. I have pretty pretty much given up on that version as it seems very old.

I found that compiling it from source gave a very playable and reliable install, much better that the old version in the repositories. Great...Except for the sound.

Please let me know if you do ever figure it out. That goes for anyone else as well.

Comment

Working...
      X