This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One window won't close

I am in the habit of leaving a lot of windows open. It is a sort of short-term bookmark. Three GB of RAM seems to be plenty for that sort of thing and that's specifically why I got it. Now I just experienced that one window in Firefox 3.0.13 won't close. I've just closed some of the others in the same browser, and they seem responsive - this single one does not.

I can navigate the net, as well as maximize, minimize, and move the window, but here are the things which do not work:
    Alt-F4
    Clicking on the toprightcorner X
    Rightclick title bar and choosing Close

I'm sure this will go away if I restart the browser, but I would like to see if I can find some other way first. Any suggestions?

Re: One window won't close

You *should* be able to press Ctrl+Alt+Esc to generate the "kill" cursor. Position this kill cursor over the window and click. This will kill the process.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I didn't think about that. However, won't that kill FireFox and close all the other windows as well?

I can (probably, (but haven't tried)) close FF, but I wanted to see if I could learn another way.

Comment

You said that if you close FF, this one window remains, yes? If that is the case, close FF and then kill the remaining window.

Comment

You said that if you close FF, this one window remains, yes?
          No no. Sorry if I confuse.
          Firefox is open, and I can presumably close it just fine. It is just one window in Firefox.

I browse with windows - not tabs. When I went to close this one window, it wouldn't! The rest appear to be acting normally, I closed several of them just to see, and I've been using the app for severaly hours since that happened and everything seems normal.

I've never seen that before and wondered if there was some way I could force one window to close without having to restart the application. Thats how it normally works, similar to being able to close one tab without closing the app. If I closed FF then I wouldn't find out. Sorry if this too Firefox specific, I just thought it was a KDE thing since (I thought) KDE is looking after the windows thing.

Comment

After a lot of searching on the net, I think it is likely caused by bad java from a previous site opening the window and not setting something correctly. I killed cookies and still no joy. I don't know java and I don't know how to control what it does. So I gave up.

I killed this instance of Firefox and restored the session. After that I could close the window. Whether or not KDE has any possibility for control over this, I don't know.

PS: I have this phobia about not rebooting and not killing apps. That's another reason I use Linux - it (generally) allows me that quirk. (and many others)

Comment

Originally posted by Ole Juul
              I killed this instance of Firefox and restored the session. After that I could close the window.
              Well, likely a quirk in the cached session. Hmm. But if killing the session and restarting/restoring did the trick, ...

Comment

Working...
              X