This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] wicd 1.5.9 to 1.6.2 problem

ok, i saw in another post that someone else already had the problem "libc-i686 broken package" and how it was solved. i used Synaptic to do the update, everything went fine, and moved on (i already use Synaptic but unless i already have it open, i'll just let Adept do the updates).

my problem was when i upgraded wicd from 1.5.9 to the latest 1.6.*
    after updating, wicd said its daemon had be restarted, but i was about to shut my computer down anyway so i just did that after closing out of wicd.
    now, when i boot my computer back up, the wicd tray icon doesn't appear, and i can't access the network controls.

i've tried opening a konsole:
    wicd #saying i need to be root
    sudo wicd #tray icon appears and disappears in under a second
    sudo wicd-client #tray icon appears and disappears in under a second

there is nothing in the /opt/ directory.. everything is in the /usr/share/wicd/* directory.

i've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the 1.6.* version with no luck.
    i've tried removing the 1.6.* version and installing the 1.5.9 version i had working, but no luck.

i can connect to my router (and my static IP address is shown as active by the router) and use TriX to talk with other members on the home network, but no luck getting on the Internet.

any help out there?
    Thermaltake Armor chassis<br />Intel Pentium D 960 @ 3.6Ghz<br />4GB DDR2 memory @ PC2-5300<br />6x internal SATA HDD [4.27TB total]<br />1x external 1,000GB HDD via firewire<br />nVidia GeForce 7950 GX2 Extreme<br />52&quot; LCD HDTV | 1920 X 1080p rez<br />Saitek Cyborg keyboard | SilverStone Raven mouse<br />running Kubuntu 10.04

Re: wicd 1.5.9 to 1.6.2 problem

Have you checked K Menu > System Settings > Advanced > Startup Services? Is wicdd listed and checked?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

As an aside, Snowhog, Kubuntu Karmic's Kmenu --> Advanced --> Service Manager has two tables on that "KDE Services configuration" tab. The bottom one is the "Startup Services" table, but it contains no entry which is labeled "wicd" or could be construed as belong to wicd.

Because of that weakness (and it is in Jaunty, too) I have installed the konsole based application, sysvconfig. It DOES list wicd as a service, among others, which can be started and stopped.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

WOW

it must have been a long day... i used Synaptic to uninstall then reinstall. normally i would have done this, but i must be really out of it to not think of it... all i did was do a complete removal, then reinstall the 1.5.9-2 version.

wicd works again except it doesn't appear in the tray which i don't know how to do and didn't see anything in the Preferences to add it to the tray ("tray" meaning next to other actively running apps).

i'm going to bed. i'm too tired to get upset at myself for not thinking to do a complete removal and reinstall.

thanks to all those who put up with and help me.
        if you know how to add/show the wicd to the tray... please feel free to share. i'm sure it's something easy.

night lol
        Thermaltake Armor chassis<br />Intel Pentium D 960 @ 3.6Ghz<br />4GB DDR2 memory @ PC2-5300<br />6x internal SATA HDD [4.27TB total]<br />1x external 1,000GB HDD via firewire<br />nVidia GeForce 7950 GX2 Extreme<br />52&quot; LCD HDTV | 1920 X 1080p rez<br />Saitek Cyborg keyboard | SilverStone Raven mouse<br />running Kubuntu 10.04

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] wicd 1.5.9 to 1.6.2 problem

When I switched to wicd it did not show in the system tray the first time I ran it. I ran it again and when the dialog came up I selected the preference option. In that dialog, which isn't completely shown so you will have to drag the bottom margin to expand it, I set my desired options. None of the options included showing an icon in the system tray, and after I closed the management dialog I still didn't get an icon. But, the next time I booted up it appeared, and has been there every since.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] wicd 1.5.9 to 1.6.2 problem

wouldn't you know it... same happened here. after the reboot, the icon shows up.
            it's different than what it use to be but i couldn't care less what it looks like.... good news is it's working again

Comment

Working...
            X